First BCD - Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there,

I am buying my first BCD and I don't want to cheap out. Every one has an opinion about whether or not I should be jumping to a back inflate BC this early, but I think I will be annoyed if I spend a bunch of money for a good quality one and am annoyed every dive with the cumbersome nature of the jacket style. I am thinking about buying the Aqua Lung Dimension i3. What are your thoughts on this? I love the i3 technology.

Is this a good idea?

Do it! Absolutely love mine.

Two questions (1) I have heard that the i3 part does not dry easily/cant realy be cleaned, and therfore it is more susceptiable to rust. Is this true? (2) Is it ok that I am a beginner and I am going to start out with a back-inflate and an i3? I really don't want to buy a different one (jacket/non-i3) and end up getting the dimension i3 in a few months anyhow.

Thanks!

My first - and every BC since has been a back-inflate. With proper weighting you won't know the difference. Except you won't have the bulk of a jacket.

You're going to want to make sure your (insta) buddy knows where the manual inflator is pre-dive. So he'll remember where it is in an emergency. And how the I3 works in case you're incapable of controlling your buoyancy. (it happens)

They use mechanical pushrods. One would assume they're sleeved metal cables. One would also assume they've made them immune to salt water corrosion. http://www.aqualung.com/uk/content/view/27/115/

I like the octo pocket. I don't have one so I often run my octo hose thru a velcro fastener and leave it hanging in the same general area.

I backed away from the I3 and bought a Balance for me, Libra for my wife. I didn't like the added bulk of the I3 lever, didn't like the thought of banging the lever on something and having it do its own thing, and as an engineer, I'm all about manual simplicity that I can control. But that's just me.

If the weather holds, we cert tomorrow with our new gear. Wahoo!:)

I bought a Balance BCD right before my open water dives. The back inflate felt different on the surface, but it makes horizontal trim underwater so much easier. I wouldn't worry about getting back inflate as a new diver. I practiced with it a little in the pool before my OW checkout dives and it worked great. It was also nice using my own gear and not having to worry about rental gear.

I have just over 50 dives on my dimension i3. I absolutely love it. There's no reason to start in a jacket style BC. I have added a crotch strap to my dimension, but that was personal choice. If you are going that route, you might also look at the air source 3. It's a combo inflator / octo. I added this to mine for two reasons, streamlining and to ensure that my set up was not to far off mainstream so that if someone needed to access my inflator to add or dump air, there would be no learning curve. Also, I thought the manual inflator that came with the i3 looked cheap.

I have just over 50 dives on my dimension i3. I absolutely love it. There's no reason to start in a jacket style BC. I have added a crotch strap to my dimension, but that was personal choice. If you are going that route, you might also look at the air source 3. It's a combo inflator / octo. I added this to mine for two reasons, streamlining and to ensure that my set up was not to far off mainstream so that if someone needed to access my inflator to add or dump air, there would be no learning curve. Also, I thought the manual inflator that came with the i3 looked cheap.

I think I am going to go with this setup:Aqua Lung Dimension i3 BCD (dive shop sells for $595), an Aqua Lung Legend LX regulator (dive shop sells for $680), a Legend Octo (dive shop sells for $220), and a Suunto Zoop console (dive shop sells for $425). All together, I am getting everyting for $1,786 (which is a 10% discount from the usual price for this setup). What are your thoughts? Ok deal and equipment?

That is a really really nice setup. I think the back inflate is actually better for a new diver bc its easier underwater. If you are tipping forward to much on the surface then let out some air or add a couple of 2 pound weights in the trim pockets on the back.

That regulator is top notch and the Zoop is all you need. I'm glad you are opting to spend your money on quality gear instead of dumping it into a $1200 computer. I have a Cobra and a Zoop. I love my cobra but completely ignore the air integrated part except for pressure.

Back
Top Bottom