Aqua Lung Axiom v. Dimension (and i3 v non-i3)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good afternoon,

I have been going back and forth on which BC to buy: the Axiom or the Dimension. Although I do not have enough experience to decide which style I want (jacket/hybrid/back-inflate), I have always assumed that I want a bank-inflate so I can stay horizontal easier. The Dimension is a few years old now (and it quite comfortable) and the Axiom is practically brand new with new features not present on the Dimension (and is a tad more comfortable on my back and sides, but feels a little more bulky than the Dimension). I realize that the Axiom is not a true jacket-style because it is a hybrid, with most of the air behind you.

What are your thoughts?

Also, I am debating between getting an i3 or non-i3 of these models (whichever one I decide to purchase). I like the ease and convenience of the i3 system, but multiple instructors at multiple shops told me to stay away from them because of their over-engineered mechanics which might make them more likely to fail and in more need of service, and a potential issue with a buddy diver who won't know this system.

I just am not sure...

You're right. The back inflate will still help you get horizontal easier than the "hybrid". The only feature the Axiom has that the Dimension does not is the new locking tank band. They both use the same harness but pocket configuration is a little different between the 2 because of the differing bladders. I went with the Dimension i3 and it has proved to be the best $600 dollars I've spent on gear (right next to my Sola 600). No issues with the mechanics whatsoever if you follow normal rinsing/drying procedures although the internals do make the unit a tad heavier. As far as buddies who may not be familiar with the system, go back and ask those instructors if they still teach buddy checks and dive planning? That is usually where different equipment configurations should be addressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom