What makes one back plate cost 2 - 3 times as much as another?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can see a difference in price in certain pieces of gear, like regulators or wings, based on technology, but I don't see where back plates, basically a piece of metal, have such a wide range of prices. The Dive Rite SS plate is $89, the Zeagle is $164 and a halcyon is $215. What, if anything, makes one worth (or cost) that much more than another?

The weight and type of SS used could make some difference but I believe the Z or H stamped on it makes the major difference.

Kind of like zone pricing for gas.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet

I'm curious, for those who know... what is the cost structure breakdown for manufacturing and selling a backplate? I've always been a little skeptical in that it's just a hunk of metal that's been cut and polished. Am I over simplying?

Lord, don't even look on DSS website then...

Is it true that old cave divers in Florida used to make their own from disused road signs?

for me, it was "tall" that adds to the price of everything..... Some may have well thought out features (DSS for instance with the rubber grommets). Some have thought the bends in ways to accomplish different objectives (like not needing a STA)... Methods of manufacture or finish may add costs too. Lastly, the big name likely commands a big price. Does all of that make it worth the $$$? That is up to you.....

I will add this: For what I have spent to date on buoyancy devices to get to this one (which finally is good for me in terms of fit & function), the cost of the BP was small...

Last edited:
Depending on the grade of stainless the costs can be significant. Also depends on the mfg method. Stamped plates are fast and easy to make but the dies and press are ridiculously expensive. One step process. If using something like laser it means an extra step or steps bending them. I am not sure what laser time runs. Tobin uses a waterjet. I don't know what his labor rate is but we charge $100 an hour for waterjet time. Depending on the machine and amount of horsepower behind the stream you could possibly cut 4-5 an hour with a single head machine. Ours have two so double the amount per hour produced.

Finishing is another area where costs can vary. Simple deburring by a good grinder can take a few minutes. Polishing takes longer and if done after bending is a bitch to get evenly. But do you really need a polished plate. That I think is where the expense may be. The finish. looks pretty, can be used as mirror, but underwater who cares? And yes I'm sure the logo adds more than few bucks.

So what I'm hearing is if the entire industry went BP/W and 3 sizes ( kids, normal and tall? ) and we got a company in china to stamp out a million of them they would be cheap as crap.

Well, I'm not really complaining anymore. I got my BP/W for $300 and I consider that stealing steel. But if I had to pay $800 for an S or H I'd probably pass.

......and we got a company in china to stamp out a million of them they would be cheap as crap.

you definitely used the correct words....seeing how some of my SS flatware from that origin of manufacture has held up, I think I might be looking elsewhere....

If it were me I'd use US made stainless. a bit more expensive but worth it IMO. We have done some labor only jobs for customers who want fast and cheap where they supplied the material. I have seen stainless with actual chunks of dirt embedded in the metal. Fun when 50,000 psi hits it! And it's not from the rolls. This junk actually had metal crap inside the metal as opposed to be pressed into by the rollers. And it will rust fairly quickly. Not deep like carbon steel but rust nonetheless.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom