I'm being forced to snorkel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linedog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do to a recent knee surgery I won't be able to carry my dive gear down the beach in Maui. My wife has decreed this year it will be a no dive trip. So I have succumbed to her wishes and will be spending 10 days in Maui with my fins and snorkel only :idk: . When I have snorkeled before it was a struggle to stay down if I could get down at all. I was planning on renting a weight belt and some weight. I'm a round guy, 5'10" and 230 pounds, will probably just be wearing my board shorts and leave the shorty at home. About how much weight do you think I will need?

10% of mass +5 pounds is the calcualation that i got off my dive shops website.. sometimes u need a little more

No idea on your actual question but on a completely separate note......

Try the snorkeling right at the Mile 14 marker on the way to Lahaina. You can park 40 ft from the water. :D Real nice calm entry so maybe she could carry your dive gear to the water....?

Wife is having back issues, she's a diver also. So between us we make one unhurt person. I could probably manage it, but all I need to do is screw up my knee again and my butts in the ringer.

23+5=28 Thats what I carry here in the PNW diving a drysuit and carrying a HP steel 130. That might be a bit much for snorkelin.

Last edited:
My guess is 4 lbs if you don't have a wet suit on. We free dive in Aruba and 4 lbs will be great. We can make it down 40 feet to a sunken boat. Its almost as good as diving. Mile marker 14 is the best snorkeling on the Island. You can go way out and the coral still comes way up. Aruba Bob

Looks like we will have to check out mile marker 14 for sure, my wife snorkels also. I'll start with 4 and go from there. We stay at Napili bay, our room is about 30 feet from the bay.

If you are naturally buoyant 4 to 6 lbs so u may free dive with less effort going down.
Perhas you and your wife can do free diving together. Its mucy fun that way.

Do read on the preparation you may do two weeks prior free diving. There a4e breathing procedures tonhelp you have more underwater time on free diving.

Having a lifebuoy with 4 meters rope may add to the fun and safety.

Have fun

Do to a recent knee surgery I won't be able to carry my dive gear down the beach in Maui. My wife has decreed this year it will be a no dive trip. So I have succumbed to her wishes and will be spending 10 days in Maui with my fins and snorkel only :idk: . When I have snorkeled before it was a struggle to stay down if I could get down at all. I was planning on renting a weight belt and some weight. I'm a round guy, 5'10" and 230 pounds, will probably just be wearing my board shorts and leave the shorty at home. About how much weight do you think I will need?

Just have her carry it to the water and inflate the BC and float out and rig up. She can snorkel about and carry it out when you return. Another is Boat dive. Only 5-6 steps and you can rig in the water also just have the crew hand it to you. Solution to problem Good luck....

10% of mass +5 pounds is the calcualation that i got off my dive shops website.. sometimes u need a little more

Wowza! That would put me at 37 lbs. No wonder new instructors load students up with lead. I'm about 8 lbs negative to start a dive BTW, and I end about 6# negative. No wetsuit.

If you are naturally buoyant 4 to 6 lbs so u may free dive with less effort going down.
Perhas you and your wife can do free diving together. Its mucy fun that way.

Do read on the preparation you may do two weeks prior free diving. There a4e breathing procedures tonhelp you have more underwater time on free diving.

Having a lifebuoy with 4 meters rope may add to the fun and safety.

Have fun

Agree, 4-6 lbs sans wet-suit should be all you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom