What kind of wing with Freedom plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danaero

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For those of who who have freedom plates, what kind of wings are you using and how do they work? Also, does the channel that holds the tank away from the plate start to wear on the wing since the wing is squeezed between this channel and the tank?

I use the OxyCheq 30Lb Mack V Extreme and am very pleased with it. I made some simple modifications to it where the wing is sandwiched between the Freedom plate and channel. The Extreme wing is tough enough that wear isn’t an issue, but the method also works with regular Mack Vs. Just heed ZKY’s cautions.

Photos and a discussion follow my post #24 in this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/320863-freedom-plate-dive-rite-plate.html

You may also find post #4 to your liking:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/368419-freedom-plate.html

So on yours the channel is not welded to the plate? Don't you have some screw heads that poke you in the back or did you use flush heads and drilled the plate to accommodate them?

Mine came fastened with two #10-32 screws, which I drilled out for ¼-20 flat heads and countersunk… therefore remained flush. I find it easier to assemble when the wing and Freedom Plate are aligned securely. Does your plate have any holes that align to the grommets in the wing?

I did find the channel-on-steel required pretty high tension to avoid slippage so added two strips of rubber.

PA070001.jpg

My next project is to adapt the Freedom plate to inverted doubles.

Check with ZKY on wing wear, I am sure he fully analyzed the issue.

OxyCheq mach V works well with that plate. ZKY said there is no need to secure the wing to the plate as Akimbo has done but I understand why he did it. It is a bit of a bother when the tank is not on there and the wing, plate and cam bands are all kind of slopping around. Of course, this does not happen once you put the tank on it which is really the important time for things to be secure.

I haven't noticed any wear at all.

Akimbo,

I do not have one right now, and could not leave Eric a PM because his inbox is full, he is busy with a yacht project right now so do not know when I could get ahold of one. I read in another post where you put the bolts and that seems like a very good idea, would you be just as happy with one where the channel is welded to to the plate?

OldnSalty,

Is yours one where the channel is welded to the plate?

Thanx for the info guys, am trying to put together a rig now and so am doing research.

Also, for a guy 6"1" 210lbs how big of a wing would one need for cold water dry suit diving? Just looking for ball park as I know specifics can vary from person to person.

Thanx again!!

I have an older single bladder 30 pound Halcyon Pioneer wing that I use with mine. It works great.

Danaero,

I don't know if it is welded or not - I haven't looked but I don't think it is. I have his prototype made from aluminum. I don't know what the difference is between what I have and what is made currently aside from the newer ones being steel. Judging by pictures of others I don't think he deviated much from the original design.

ONS

18 lb oxycheq mach V is what I usually use, but I have also used an older style dive rite travel wing and it's worked fine. I have one of the earlier freedom plates with no channel in the middle.

Thanx for all the info guys, if anyone knows Eric tell him his inbox is FULL so we cannot get in touch with him right now thru PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom