X1,Petrel or Hollis Help????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twilodiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all question for my dive gear that I'm thinking on getting.

Atomic M1 reg and octo

here is where it gets a little tricky.....I'm looking at 3 different computers.

1 Liquivision X1

2 Shearwater Petrel

3 Hollis DG05

Not in any particular order.

Any thoughts experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Shearwater is the way to go. Liquidvision left a lot of RB divers with no support for the X-link. Hollis is is the same as the VRX I blieve.........do a search on the VR3.....make your own call. Shearwater gives free updates, no charges for PINs to open features, great support. I have a Predator now and when the petrel comes out with cell monitoring I'll be going to that. Did I mention features for $$?
Later,
John

Shearwater is the way to go. Liquidvision left a lot of RB divers with no support for the X-link. Hollis is is the same as the VRX I blieve.........do a search on the VR3.....make your own call. Shearwater gives free updates, no charges for PINs to open features, great support. I have a Predator now and when the petrel comes out with cell monitoring I'll be going to that. Did I mention features for $$?
Later,
John

I agree with how awesome the Shearwater products are, but the feature upgrade PIN's are not free.

The updates to the firmware have always been free.

Reactions: Jax
Liquivision X1 was always my top choice - but the Petrel could easily upstage it. I like the OLED/recharge dock features of the X1 - but the Petrel has user changeable batteries - and the screen seems nice and clear. Want to get my hands on a Petrel to play with and test. :wink:

Thank you guys!!!!!:D I think for the $$$ and now the size Size Petrel is the way to go...

What do you guys think of Hog vs Atomic regs????

Thank you guys!!!!!:D I think for the $$$ and now the size Size Petrel is the way to go...

What do you guys think of Hog vs Atomic regs????

I very rarely say this but do a search, just type in "HOG" you will find many many posts with a lot of info. People seem to like them a lot, especially at their price point and the owner seems like a very straight up guy. Atomic make very nice regulators but at a higher price, although the Z2, which apparently breathes the same as its big brothers is not too expensive. Atomic are piston regs and the HOG diaphragm. Things to think about, servicing ease, HOG will sell people service kits openly if you want to go down the self servicing route. If you travel dive lot you might want to look at other brands such as Scuba Pro or Aqualung who have a far larger service network. No one makes bad regs and I doubt a human could tell the difference between a properly tuned reg from any of the bigger names and apparently some of the smaller ones e.g. HOG. Good luck with your search.

Shearwater hands down

Shearwater customer service is almost unbelievable. I've had but a single issue, possibly my fault. I shipped it, they fixed it, and shipped it back. No questions asked. They even put a new battery in it, which is about $11 bucks for free. Anyone can call Lynn at Shearwater for help, advise, answers and she is always there to point you in the right direction and fulfill your needs. Their support is unparalled. I couldn't be happier. Add in the fact that is it the simplest computer on the planet to operate, and the Shearwater will clearly the winner. Enjoy.

i have only had my predator for a short time. my only beef with it is the size, which seems to be remedied with the petrel at 40% smaller. otherwise its awesome

Back
Top Bottom