Post-dive speargun maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought my first speargun (Mako aluminum). After washing it down for the day, what do people use as a spray protectant on the gun and the bands?

It runs the full list depending on how 1)often you dive with it 2) how your gun's made.

I've seen spearo's take the bands off, seal them in plastic bags and put them in the fridge. Others never store their gun near the fridge/freezer since it may emit ozone, wrecking the latex. Some use WD-40, but if there is wood on the gun it may stain the finish. Also be careful what spray and if anything use a food grade silicone. Several other guys have a bag they put over the bands on the boat to block out the sun's UV's.

I spear almost every week with a Koah wood gun and here is what I do. Remove the shaft from the trigger. Flush and rinse with a strong stream from the hose. I keep the bands in place (but I tie new bands every 90 days for snap). I don't lubricate the trigger mech and I keep the shaft out of the mech until I'm ready to use it again. My gun is epoxy finished vs an oil finish. About once every 2 years, I sand and re-epoxy it with Imron.

Remove the shaft. shoot water down the trigger mechanism, rinse the gun with a hose, spray a little Wd-40 in the trigger mech (don't get any on the rubber parts) and you should be good. I do not apply any protectant to the gun or the bands.

I suppose if you were super picky, you could take 30 seconds and wax the shaft with car wax. Do not try to use a brillo or sand the shaft, since this wil remove the protective coating on the shaft. Eventually, after you have shot into rocks and sand many times the tip will need to be sharpened with a file. when this happens, you will remove the protective coating from the tip and it will tend to rust and require a minute of so of attention every other weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom