Lost SeaLife DC1000, south of Crete, Greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anatida

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Several weeks ago I have stupidly lost my SeaLife DC1000 on the south coast of Crete in Greece. Identifying features are a black rubber band attaching the lens cap to the housing, and another rubber band connecting to a strip of plastic. I lost it around July 20. I can provide the serials when requested.

For those interested in the circumstances, what had happened was the following: my DC1000 suffered from the infamous "stuck shutter" problem. But I discovered that you can unjam it by applying a sideways force to the metal button underneath the shutter button, via a simple plastic strip cut from a water bottle. However, it takes a bit of fiddling around to accomplish that. During the fateful dive, I was unjamming it once again, but it wouldn't cooperate so well this time, so I had to remove the lanyard to get a better grip. Unfortunately, I was then briefly distracted by the divemaster and forgot to reattach the lanyard... I quicky realized my mistake and looked around for it, but it had already floated away. This behaviour is contrary to the user manual, which states that the camera and housing will sink if dropped in water! SeaLife DC1000 owners take note: if you want the camera to sink to aid recovery if you lost it, you must weigh it down yourself! Well, live and learn I suppose...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom