More problems with the Vyper Air transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeclimbmtb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Started having connection problems with my Vyper Air and its wireless transmitter a few weeks ago. Talking with a friend who works at a dive shop out west (and also dives/dived that computer), she said it was definitely the battery (a little disheartening as the computer is less than 6 months old, and I have had the entire unit replaced once already due to a faulty transmitter) I found a LDS that carrys AquaLung/Suunto and had them order me a battery kit. (battery, trasmitter cap, and new o-rings) When I got home I carefully pulled the 4 screws and removed the cap. I imediately noticed condensation inside, and upon closer examination found corrosion and water damage on the printed circuit board! I snapped a bunch of pictures and closed the trasmitter back up exactly as I found it. I am looking into getting it replaced under warranty but am a little nervous of what they will say when they see the red paint on the scews disturbed. Has anyone had any experience with getting defective equipment replaced with a seal broken?

Hello,
I am sorry for the issues you are having with your Vyper Air & transmitter. If you purchased your Vyper Air at an authorized Aqua Lung/ Suunto dealer and the computer is less than 2 years old, then you are entitled to a no cost warranty replacement. There is a service center in Tampa, Fl (Suunto Repair) and you can send your computer there for warranty evaluation. You must send your computer, transmitter, and receipt of purchase. Log onto Suunto Regional Service Center click the picture of your computer. Follow the steps and, fill out the service request form with all of your information. Click submit for RMA at the bottom of the page. you will receive a order confirmed page and on that page you will be provided with a RMA#. Please put that number on the exterior of your box. You will receive an email within a few minutes with all of the information you filler out, as well as shipping instructions and address. If you have any questions you can call directly at 813-969-4111.

Thanks,
Chris from Suunto

You have to watch that your rig is not pickup by the transmitteror things push against it during transport.
I was in Hawaii and I hand my rig up to the DM and hegrab it by the transmitter and I new it was going to leak and that it did.

Hello,
I am sorry for the issues you are having with your Vyper Air & transmitter. If you purchased your Vyper Air at an authorized Aqua Lung/ Suunto dealer and the computer is less than 2 years old, then you are entitled to a no cost warranty replacement. There is a service center in Tampa, Fl (Suunto Repair) and you can send your computer there for warranty evaluation. You must send your computer, transmitter, and receipt of purchase. Log onto Suunto Regional Service Center click the picture of your computer. Follow the steps and, fill out the service request form with all of your information. Click submit for RMA at the bottom of the page. you will receive a order confirmed page and on that page you will be provided with a RMA#. Please put that number on the exterior of your box. You will receive an email within a few minutes with all of the information you filler out, as well as shipping instructions and address. If you have any questions you can call directly at 813-969-4111.

Thanks,
Chris from Suunto

Thanks Chris, I will get right on this (trying to minimize my downtime...though it might be good to get more practice with the tables!) Do I need my original reciept or will a photo copy work? (I have both)

You should have an SPG when you dive with a wireless device because you cannot always rely on electronics.

I seen diver rip their spg off getting off the boat and I've seen other diver drop their rig on some ones spg and the electronic one was the only one working.

I have a 2.5" brass SPG clipped to my hip D-ring at all times, I use it for monitoring my air and not the wireless air integration. Its just nice to see everything in one place. I check the computer every minute or so, and verify the SPG every 200-500 psi to make sure they jive. (unless I have reason to monitor more frequently...like say...a connection failure.)

The real benefit to having the air integration for me is realtime SAC calculation that I can review after the dive. For instance I usually have a higher SAC durring my decent, and a very low SAC at my ascent and safety stop. Yes you can calculate based on average depth an start/end pressures, but thats an average for the dive, it doesnt let you see where and when your SAC is at its best/worst. Thats really the reason I like the integration. That, and if you are shallow (~30 fsw) and your NDL is looong, it's nice to see air time right there, even if it is just a guess.

I have a 2.5" brass SPG clipped to my hip D-ring at all times, I use it for monitoring my air and not the wireless air integration. Its just nice to see everything in one place. I check the computer every minute or so, and verify the SPG every 200-500 psi to make sure they jive. (unless I have reason to monitor more frequently...like say...a connection failure.)

The real benefit to having the air integration for me is realtime SAC calculation that I can review after the dive. For instance I usually have a higher SAC durring my decent, and a very low SAC at my ascent and safety stop. Yes you can calculate based on average depth an start/end pressures, but thats an average for the dive, it doesnt let you see where and when your SAC is at its best/worst. Thats really the reason I like the integration. That, and if you are shallow (~30 fsw) and your NDL is looong, it's nice to see air time right there, even if it is just a guess.

Glad to see you do use an SPG. I have the Vyper Air as a backup computer and I too love the air integration for the data I get upon download. It is nice to have a wrist computer that shows everything you need and then some.

---------- Post Merged at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:22 AM ----------

I seen diver rip their spg off getting off the boat and I've seen other diver drop their rig on some ones spg and the electronic one was the only one working.

Yes, you never know what will happen. I saw a tank fall off the boat rack and wreck the 1st stage of the diver's reg. I'm thinking they should not have a 1st stage since that can happen.

Ive also seen a guy (with his DM as he told me) try and put an SPG into the LP port on his first stage. He asked the boat crew for an adaptor because the hose didnt fit. "It was the foreign style first stage" he said, "they use a different size hose in the SE Asia." I carefully showed him it was the same size as his second stage hose...so he would be monitoring his intermediate pressure.

REALLY?!?!

Ive also seen a guy (with his DM as he told me) try and put an SPG into the LP port on his first stage. He asked the boat crew for an adaptor because the hose didnt fit. "It was the foreign style first stage" he said, "they use a different size hose in the SE Asia." I carefully showed him it was the same size as his second stage hose...so he would be monitoring his intermediate pressure.

REALLY?!?!

Back in the old days when we had the same port size for LP and HP, several times saw people get it wrong the other way around (and did it once myself with a drysuit inflator). That's much more exciting. :D

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom