How to clean leaky power inflator w/o disassembling it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Wife got BC whose power inflator slowly leaks air from the LP inflator hose to the bladder. She's been complaining about buoyancy control issues with her BC and it being dangerous in overhead environment but I thought it was just her not practicing enough...that is until we went to a dive where there was alot of surface swimming and I kept hearing her overpressure valve releasing air, and she had to dump air frequently because of the squeeze by the BC.

Anyway, now I want to give it a shot at cleaning it before buying a replacement power inflator, but I don't have the disassembly tool. If I buy it on the interweb, w s/h, it would not be much different in price compared to a new one.

I was wondering how can I clean the corrosion off the valve stem/body w/o disassembling the power inflator, all without harming the plastic pieces or rubber mouthpiece/washers. Should I put it in hot water? vinegar solution? Strong dishwashing soap? Or maybe use some of these commercial corrosion remover that doesn't harm rubber?

Could be a salt crystal build up, I had a sticky valve and upon disassembly found one the size of a pea. Running tap water through might disolve it. I bought a washing thingy with a quick disconnect on one end and garden hose fitting on the other. On phone so cannot give link.

Could be salt crystal buildup. When I took that connector to the LP hose off, I saw a tinge of green around the thread (I thought these were all SS). Anyway, tried soaking in hot water w/lots of soap. Don't know if it did any good or made it worse. But won't know until I hook it to a tank and let it sit there.

Looking for some home solution. If I have to buy those stuff, I mind as well go buy a new power inflator.

Soak it, including the connector in bottled water for 3-4 days, changing the water each day, ......after each soak blow out water w/canned air [from office depot/staples etc.]....see if that works......

Hi,

Wife got BC whose power inflator slowly leaks air from the LP inflator hose to the bladder. She's been complaining about buoyancy control issues with her BC and it being dangerous in overhead environment but I thought it was just her not practicing enough...that is until we went to a dive where there was alot of surface swimming and I kept hearing her overpressure valve releasing air, and she had to dump air frequently because of the squeeze by the BC.

Anyway, now I want to give it a shot at cleaning it before buying a replacement power inflator, but I don't have the disassembly tool. If I buy it on the interweb, w s/h, it would not be much different in price compared to a new one.

I was wondering how can I clean the corrosion off the valve stem/body w/o disassembling the power inflator, all without harming the plastic pieces or rubber mouthpiece/washers. Should I put it in hot water? vinegar solution? Strong dishwashing soap? Or maybe use some of these commercial corrosion remover that doesn't harm rubber?

Depending on the design you may need a special tool but they come apart in about 10 seconds. You can literally dismantle it, ultrasonic the parts, change the O-rings and put it back together in the time it takes to fill up your cylinder....

Which is my next suggestion. Next time you get your tanks filled take the BCD with you and ask the shop-monkey to give a quick look.

R..

I do most of my dives on trips. So it is either fixed before that or it will be changed out, so chance of buddying up with the tech will be rare. I can soak it for a while, and will see how it goes. Maybe try to jig some pieces of metal so it can spin the that threaded holder open. Will really hot water (not quite boiling) damage these delicate rubber or plastic?

I built a tool from an old socket using a dremel tool to cut away all but the two prongs. But you can sometimes engage the retainer with a small flat bladed screwdriver if it is not too corroded. In any case, a long soak in warm water would be a good start. At this point, I would not expect just soaking to provide a good, long term cure.

A leaking inflator is bad news and may be hazardous. I think you should send it for service or if you are handy enough do it yourself.
Depending on your BC you may need this https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1302 and this instructional video: https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/inflator.html. IMHO soap is not recommended since it might strip away lube from the o-rings in the dynamic part of the cartridge valve and may worsen the leak or cause the valve to stick.

Hope this helps.

It has failed once, and could cause a major issue with someone you love. Fix it right or replace it! Change the o-rings as they are currently leaking, and with the tool are under $10. BCD Parts and Components - Dive Gear Express Order spare o-rings too for the next time, or when your buddies failes. You will need some kind of lube, but should have some anyhow for gear maintenence. I use Tribolube and others swear by Christolube. http://www.divegearexpress.com/hardware/orings.shtml#2678

Otherwise just buy a new inflator and replace the entire unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom