Olympus 60mm Macro Sneak Peak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what this means for a port, if you have to hold a button down to get to 1:1
Bill

The port won't be cheap. Hopefully we won't have to wait 6 months after the release of the lens for it to arrive...

Hi Bill,
I can't believe the trouble that Olympus go to just to make it hard for everyone else to use their product?
Why can;t it (1:1) simply be at the end of the zoom range, the same as everyone elses macro lenses? :confused:
For me it will be a case of using the lens at the earlier setting and adding a couple of Keri's diopters out front to choose from. . .
Bruce

I wonder what this means for a port, if you have to hold a button down to get to 1:1
Bill

---------- Post Merged at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:46 PM ----------

There's been enough of these lenses 'floating around' for the manufacturers to have had a good look and there is NO good reason as to why we should wait?
I'm hoping for a simple version of the port without button assembly from Zen for the PEN system?
Bruce

The port won't be cheap. Hopefully we won't have to wait 6 months after the release of the lens for it to arrive...

waiting also

Talk about seeing the glass half empty, Olympus is not about doing much of anything the way everyone else would. Every other macro lens on the market focuses from 1:1 all the way out to infinity non-stop that is why so many complain about macro lenses that "HUNT". The Panasonic 45mm macro and most other macro lenses have a focus lock, in the case of the 45 macro the lens locks out the macro end from 50cm (about 20 inches) to infinity. This is great if you are shooting models in a studio or street scenes where you want to speed up auto focus beyond 20 inches. I don't know of any AF macro lens that locks in the macro range rather than locking it out prior to the Olympus 60mm macro.

If you open the photo of the lens you will see that it has a focus lock for the range from 0.19-0.4 meters (7.4-15.7 inches) that is 1:1 to about 1:5 or 6 times life size. Only having the lens focus in that range will reduce the hunting issue greatly which is a good thing. If you want to be like the rest you can set the focus from .19M (1:1) to infinity or from .4m (1:6) to infinity, your choice.

I think everyone missed the part of the short review where the guy said the lens is, "awesome" "great build quality" "very quick MACRO focus" and "a joy to use" it is also weather sealed and yes it will require a custom port to access the focus limiting feature if you want to use it or you can just use it the old way and deal with the issue of hunting.

Regarding the time line for ports and other accessories, the E-M5 happened to come out at the same time as the Canon 5DIII, Nikon D4 and Nikon D800, take a guess which housings #1 has the greatest profit margin and #2 which were put first in line for production. Next tell me how many different E-M5 housings other than Nauticam's are now in the market place and now many ports those systems have. Not even Olympus who designed E-M5 camera has been able to get their ports and housing out to the world market yet.

Bottom line is that all of these products are based on speculation as to how well they will be accepted by the underwater photo community. The E-M5 has so far been passed over by every manufacturer but Nauticam who I expect in due time will have a quality port for the 60 macro which Olympus has not even set a release date for at this time.

Phil Rudin

Talk about seeing the glass half empty, Olympus is not about doing much of anything the way everyone else would. Every other macro lens on the market focuses from 1:1 all the way out to infinity non-stop that is why so many complain about macro lenses that "HUNT". The Panasonic 45mm macro and most other macro lenses have a focus lock, in the case of the 45 macro the lens locks out the macro end from 50cm (about 20 inches) to infinity. This is great if you are shooting models in a studio or street scenes where you want to speed up auto focus beyond 20 inches. I don't know of any AF macro lens that locks in the macro range rather than locking it out prior to the Olympus 60mm macro.

If you open the photo of the lens you will see that it has a focus lock for the range from 0.19-0.4 meters (7.4-15.7 inches) that is 1:1 to about 1:5 or 6 times life size. Only having the lens focus in that range will reduce the hunting issue greatly which is a good thing. If you want to be like the rest you can set the focus from .19M (1:1) to infinity or from .4m (1:6) to infinity, your choice.

I think everyone missed the part of the short review where the guy said the lens is, "awesome" "great build quality" "very quick MACRO focus" and "a joy to use" it is also weather sealed and yes it will require a custom port to access the focus limiting feature if you want to use it or you can just use it the old way and deal with the issue of hunting.

Regarding the time line for ports and other accessories, the E-M5 happened to come out at the same time as the Canon 5DIII, Nikon D4 and Nikon D800, take a guess which housings #1 has the greatest profit margin and #2 which were put first in line for production. Next tell me how many different E-M5 housings other than Nauticam's are now in the market place and now many ports those systems have. Not even Olympus who designed E-M5 camera has been able to get their ports and housing out to the world market yet.

Bottom line is that all of these products are based on speculation as to how well they will be accepted by the underwater photo community. The E-M5 has so far been passed over by every manufacturer but Nauticam who I expect in due time will have a quality port for the 60 macro which Olympus has not even set a release date for at this time.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil I have a question. Would I be able to use the zen macro port for this lens(set the focus lock before putting it in the housing like the 45mm pana)?

Is there a big difference between this and the pana 45 mm?

Thank you in advance.

Phil, I see the focus lock on the photo of the lens in the link. What I do not get is the arrow and the commentary in the like above that state one has to hold it in the rotated position to get to 1:1. That is confusing to me. I guess I would like to see a more thorough review that clarifies how the focus lock works in this lens.

I did indeed read that the lens was quite nice but since I am mostly interested in shooting 1:1 or more (with appropriate add on lenses) I am confused as to how to get to 1:1 in a port. The picture suggests that you have to rotate the switch actively to get to 1:1. If that is true then a special port (God knows I have enough ports) will be necessary and it also suggests that you need two hands to make it work. The 1:1 macro function is achieved by holding the magnification selection dial to the setting during the focusing, and then is held there until you refocus and it resets itself to the normal macro mode.
That sounds a bit painful. I sold my Nauticam NEX system because there were no good macro solutions, and have the OM-D (actually Olympus has it; the back screen has stopped working) with the expectation that good macro (equivalent to my 7D/Canon 100 or Canon 60) would be available. Two hand focusing here in the Los Angeles surge is a bit worrisome. In any case, the 45 mm lens for me worked OK with quite nice IQ so I remain hopeful that the Nauticam guys will figure this out as well.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom