oceanic v suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

br3tt588

New
Reaction score
I have been looking for a good deal on a suunto d4 for a while and whilst searching found the oceanic geo 2.0, both stylish DCs and wearable as a watch, I've been leaning towards the oceanic only for the fact it's more to my budget, however I am worried about its seemingly short battery life. If I wore it all the time as a DC and a watch, can someone shed some light on just how much battery it would chew through compared to say the d4? Or would it be better just to bite the bullet and spend the extra on the suunto in the first place??

I have just bought a D4i for my daughter's birthday (not recieved yet) and I am going to buy an Oceanic Geo 2 for myself. I have no personal experience, but just based on the specs....

Suunto claims (for the D4i);
Life expectancy at 20°C/68°F:
• 0 dives/year –> 2 years
• 100 dives/year –>1.5 years
• 300 dives/year –>1 year

Factory replacement at US$?? per 1-2 years

Oceanic claims (Geo 2);
Recommended change period - 1 year
• 1 year or 300 dive hours assuming 2 x 1 hour dives per day

User replaceable CR2430 at US$5 from your local shop.

So, actual consumption is very similar it would seem and the Oceanic will be cheaper overall.

I have the Geo 2.0 and love it, though i can't compare it to the Suunto as I've never even seen it. It's original battery appears to still be fine after 2.5 years, though that's only about 25-30 dives :( . "If I wore it all the time as a DC and a watch" is not a factor. It is always on, whether it is on your wrist or packed away with dive gear. I get the impression it takes very little battery power to operate as a watch though, so battery life will mainly be driven by # of dives.

Personally, I wouldn't consider battery life as a main concern when picking a dive computer, especially since factory claims for both appear to be nearly the same. I'll pick a computer that I like but needs a yearly battery change over something I dislike that only needs batteries every 3 years any day.

I personally would concern myself more over the actual features of each, and which has features I'm looking for.

I've got a geo 2.0. I wouldnt choose based on battery life, especially since plenty of people use both brands and aren't complaining necessarily.

Algorithms are different so you need to decide which way you want to go on that.

After the algorithm factor, it would be features. Major features are all quite similar as with most dive computers in that range. However, I feel that the suunto is a more 'polished device. The LCD display is nicer, with the ability to show a dive profile I believe and menus are way more intuitive.

For me, it came down to price and for the money the geo is a great dive com. I couldnt really compare the two since the d4i wad so much more expensive the geo was in my budget and met my requirements. I don't think you'll go wrong either way, to me price is the greatest difference and the fact the I believe the d4i can be air integrated if you want to go that route.

As a DM/Instructor - I went with the GEO 2.0. I wear it as my daily watch and Dive Computer. I have found navigation thru the menus can be difficult, but after sitting down with it and understanding how to get around the menus, I found that not a big deal. I can not give much insight on the battery life yet, since I got it in July, but no issues yet with 84 hours (underwater) and 121 dives on it so far (2 months).

I choose the Oceanic over the Suunto because as a DM/Instructor - I have to not go into Deco while on a tour. With the Oceanic, I get the more liberal bottom times and not get taxed if I do not have an hour surface interval between dives. This is the only complaint that I have found with the more conservative algorithm, which Suunto uses. Advantage goes to Oceanic with both algorithms built in, so if your dive buddy has a Suunto, you could change the algorithm in the Oceanic to match your dive buddy.

Hope this helps,

The Octopus Whisperer

I get the impression it takes very little battery power to operate as a watch though, so battery life will mainly be driven by # of dives.
I have a solar powered citizen dive watch and it stays with the charge indicator almost permanently at max in normal wristwatch use.
As soon as I start diving it drops down a notch in about an hour. Charges back up quickly though, so thats not a problem, but it goes to show just how much of a difference it is to the drain wether youre wet or not.

Add to that my watch only has a depth gauge and memory, no computing involved..

This is my new all time favorite computer: OCS - Computers
It is stylish, easy to read, intuitive, has dual algorithm, digital compass, deep stop, Multi gas, and works well as a stand alone watch with Multi functions.

..... I have found navigation thru the menus can be difficult, but after sitting down with it and understanding how to get around the menus,....
FYI, the Geo 2.0 comes with free online video tutorials (but you need to register the computer with Oceanic) that show the dive computer in action - at the surface and underwater.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Alberto-

You should have a way for ur dive computer simulator to show the deep stop function in effect. Doesn't seem to be an option. I was curious how it worked and tried to simulate but no dice

...... You should have a way for ur dive computer simulator to show the deep stop function in effect. Doesn't seem to be an option. I was curious how it worked and tried to simulate but no dice
I am quite sure that the deep stop function DO work ... in the eDiving simulator (only). .... (but you have to program the computer while you are at the surface before a dive .... watch out for the Great White Sharks :wink:)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom