The math behind Haldane, Buhlmann, RGBM, and VPM algorithms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have any good resources about the topic?

I'm trying to better understand ingassing / outgassing before I start my NAUI NTEC / normoxic helium training next year.

Might as well start the ball rolling with the ever-predictable - and ever-reliable - 'Deco for Divers' by Mark Powell, although it won't give you the actual algorithms. TDI's Deco Procedures manual has a pretty good review of the philosophical underpinnings behind the different models.

If you are seriously interested in getting into some of the math, look up Bruce Wienke's books. They're replete with it.

Bruce's books cover the mathamatics and will give you much of the thinking behind the way an algorithm works. I would suggest that without a solid first year uni level comprehension of mathematics and the calculus, his books will loose you.

Buhlmann's work is in the public domain.

Second the recommendation for Mark Powell's excellent work.

You might also do a google search for V-Planner software (an implementation of VPM) and poke aound there. There are a couple of interesting essays which may help. Also, I believe there are several subscribers here -- including Ross Hemmingway who wrote V-Planner -- who may be able to walk you through the nuts and bolts.

However, if it's implementation that you are interested in finding out more about, then Mark's book is excellent.

Last edited:
You might try "The Physics of Scuba Diving" by Marlow Anderson. It's a readable college textbook format that walks you through the fundementals.

Bruce's books cover the mathamatics and will give you much of the thinking behind the way an algorithm works. I would suggest that without a solid first year uni level comprehension of mathematics and the calculus, his books will loose you.

First year?

A little over a week ago I had a discussion on this topic with a technical diving instructor who is a mathematician in his non-diving life. He feels it is well beyond first year calculus. We jokingly decided that no one can argue with Weinke's theories because no one really understands what they are.

.......I'm trying to better understand ingassing / outgassing .....

In additon to all the good suggestions above, you might want to play a bit with divePAL Tech; You can use the Off-gassing ceiling grapher to see IN/OFF-gassing compartment by compartment.

Also, with divePAL Tech you can design your variation of the Buhlmann algorithm (you can change coefficients and M values) and see graphically the results for a given dive profile.

divepal_predator_0323.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom