Cobra 3 - Deco Mode - Confused!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there! I just picked up a Cobra 3, and I am trying to understand the decompression mode.

I know that when you stay down past your no-deco limit, the computer enters the deco mode. At that time, "ceiling," ""stop" and "asc time" is displayed. But does the number under asc time actually mean the total time it will take you to complete the decompression process before you get to the surface, or does it mean the amount of time that you have to be at each deco stop (or both, meaning, does it change)?

I am also having difficulty understanding the differences between the floor and ceiling concepts with this computer. Like, why would the ceiling change (this computer will occasionally change the ceiling).

Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Hey there! I just picked up a Cobra 3, and I am trying to understand the decompression mode.

I know that when you stay down past your no-deco limit, the computer enters the deco mode. At that time, "ceiling," ""stop" and "asc time" is displayed. But does the number under asc time actually mean the total time it will take you to complete the decompression process before you get to the surface, or does it mean the amount of time that you have to be at each deco stop (or both, meaning, does it change)?

I am also having difficulty understanding the differences between the floor and ceiling concepts with this computer. Like, why would the ceiling change (this computer will occasionally change the ceiling).

Thanks!

Anyone?

You need to monitor and plan your dives better, at you level you should not be in deco or doing deco dives.

You need to monitor and plan your dives better, at you level you should not be in deco or doing deco dives.
first, learn what is deco, why you have or not, and how to manage
second, learn how you can apply to your computer, and/or how your computer applies it.

I think it's still important to for divers to understand their computer so that they don't panic and bolt to the surface if they inadvertently go into deco mode. I've heard of this happening.
Of course, avoiding deco all together is the best option for the non-tech trained diver but mistakes happen. Bad mistakes happen to newer divers sometimes.

I am going to just go ahead and assume your asking because read the manual and had some questions not because you blew off your deco obligation because you DIDNT read the manual. If I'm wrong...DON'T correct me.

Your decompression range is a column of water bounded by the ceiling above you, and the floor below you. the closer you are to the ceiling, the shorter your stop (this is of course flying the computer with no advanced deco planning...) if you go below the floor again, your ceiling may move down, and your stop time will increase. Asc time should be the total time it will take you to surface. Stop in this case indicates a manditory stop as opposed to the recomended safety stop.

I agree, you should not be doing deco diving at your level. Neither should I. I asked a very similar question and took a lot of heat for it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...430660-how-much-gas-case-accidental-deco.html

It's a long read, but its got some good info in it.

FYI, this isn't over, you put the word "DECO" in your thread title, so be prepared for a lot of opinions...both for asking questions to increase your knowlege level...and for touching on a very sensitive topic. (for good reason...read the thread, youll see)

True enough, but since the manual that comes with his new computer explains how deco mode works, he should understand it in case of a dive inadvertently exceeding the NDL. It's considered a recreational (no-deco) computer, and the idea is to plan every dive to avoid exceeding the NDL. However, the user should understand how to handle unplanned deco in the event it happens for whatever reason. My Suunto manual appears to be carefully worded to imply that deco diving is an unplanned contingency, not something to plan for: "If you exceed the no-decompression limits on a dive, the dive computer will provide the decompression information required for ascent."

Looks like Hatul answered the OPs specific question. The Suunto manuals are well written and clear, in my opinion, but it's certainly possible not everything is clear to everyone.

True enough, but since the manual that comes with his new computer explains how deco mode works, he should understand it in case of a dive inadvertently exceeding the NDL. It's considered a recreational (no-deco) computer, and the idea is to plan every dive to avoid exceeding the NDL. However, the user should understand how to handle unplanned deco in the event it happens for whatever reason. My Suunto manual appears to be carefully worded to imply that deco diving is an unplanned contingency, not something to plan for: "If you exceed the no-decompression limits on a dive, the dive computer will provide the decompression information required for ascent."

Looks like Hatul answered the OPs specific question. The Suunto manuals are well written and clear, in my opinion, but it's certainly possible not everything is clear to everyone.

I found this to be true of my computer/manual. At least the second time I read it. With 10 dives I bought a computer and learned the basics of operation. Re-reading it after 80 dives, made a lot more sense. I hate having to go back and re read a book thats meant to be informative not fun reading...but in this case, that manual was 100x more usefull the second time around.

. . .
Re-reading it after 80 dives, made a lot more sense. I hate having to go back and re read a book thats meant to be informative not fun reading...but in this case, that manual was 100x more usefull the second time around.

Heh heh heh. My knowledgeable answer is the result of me having read the manual thoroughly ... AFTER the first time the computer went into unplanned deco mode. When I first got the computer, I skipped over the deco section of the manual, figuring that I was strictly doing no-deco diving and didn't need to know about deco. :doh: The OP is doing the right thing by reading his manual thoroughly before diving with his new computer, including the part explaining how the computer will guide the user through a few minutes of unplanned deco in the event it occurs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom