Anyone dived Komodo on KLM Moana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bugeye

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

We're planning on diving Komodo at the end of October and looking at KLM Moana. I've searched around but can't find any trip report.

We tried MV Blue Dragon last year and had a great time but the schedule doesn't suit us for this trip.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Hi Bug,

We spent 5 days on Moana in late May/early June of this year and had a wonderful trip. Haven't had time to get a trip report together.

The Moana is a beautiful wooden phinisi schooner sporting five cabins and a spacious deck. Josh is the cruise director and is very capable. Crew is attentive and friendly. I think the website (http://www.moanacruising.com/en/) gives a pretty good picture of what you can likely expect.

We dove only the northern sites, but generally timed them all very well. We went with two children in tow (8 & 10) and picked Moana because having kids didn't cost quite as much as other boats and because they were welcome. We are also more inclined to wooden boats. The dive program is well run with thorough briefings and well trained crew. On our trip, there were only three other divers (five of us in all). Two dive masters on each dive. Like any trip to Komodo, the diving was spectacular.

Moana has no Nitrox and the cabins are a bit small and cramped. There is a hot water shower on deck, but none in the rooms. There is AC in the cabins, but not much air circulation down below otherwise. The food was certainly not gourmet, but it was fresh, good and plentiful. Dining was outdoors at the large table on deck. There is no real support for serious photographers - though casual ones such as myself had all we needed. It is a mid-priced liveaboard, but I think one that provides very good value.

We really enjoyed our time onboard. It was clear they were trying to make sure we had the best trip possible. I would recommend the Moana without hesitation.

If you have any specific questions, you are welcome to send me a pm.

Will

Last edited:
what does the 'KLM' stand for? thks...

Kapal Layar Mesin in Bahasa = Motor Vessel in English
Almost right, you forgot to translate the layar part

Motorized Sailing Vessel...
kapal- ship
layar - sail
mesin- motor

Back
Top Bottom