Stupid sounding question, but isn't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ze_Abron

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Chaps,

What is there difference between a $60 backplate and a $300 backplate? Surely both are just a drilled and formed sheet of Aluminium or steel?

I am thinking of buying an aluminium one online and I just can't for the life of me understand what the price difference could refer to...

Thx!

Comfort, sharp angles, do they cut into the harness, holes/slots adjustable, blah blah blah. Buy the Dive Rite or HOG one, you'll be fine.

Shop here in HK sells Halcyon backplate for $325.

Chaps,

What is there difference between a $60 backplate and a $300 backplate?

My guess is that one of them comes with a blue H on the box.

One exception, the deep sea supply plates really are a little different; they're finished very well and they have these neat elastomer inserts that hold the harness in place. And there's a lot of thought in the angles for single tank use. Oxycheq and dive rite are very standard plates that work fine.

But I haven't seen a $60 steel plate or a $300 AL plate, so part of that very wide price spread would be material too.

H AL plate is $209 here. Not that I think they ar NOT expansive, but you are having it for 50% more. I am not sure how much is import tax, how much if your shop's markup. At the end of the day, the differences come to quality of fit and finish, NOT functinality. H plate's finish really nicer. But unless you are also looking to use some H only accessories (cinch), I, personally don't see the need to have a very good looking plate. Afterall, they all go into salt water, and will look like crap after a short while.

The lowest cost AL plate I can find in the states is OMS, $65 from leisurepro. The ratio is 3:1, not as extreme as in your case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom