Roll, Roll, Roll your tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bostontechdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was at my LDS last week to get a Nitrox fill. The shop owner completed the fill and then placed my tank on an electric rolling machine that slowely spun the tank for 5 minutes to make sure the gases were evenly distributed. Then he checked the concentration with the meter and put the sticker on. Then he had me check the concentration with the meter. After recording the fill, I paid the bill and left. I have never seen tanks spun on a machine after a mixed gas fill. Is there an oppinion either way? Is it overkill?

Unless the inside of your cylinder is equipped with paddles to mix the gas, I think it's silly. Now, 42 people who have heard of partial pressure blending will come on and say what an idiot i am. The blending occurs when the air is shot in on top of the O2. It does not occur when a smooth steel cylinder is rolled around. If it makes the shop owner or the cylinder owner feel better, by all means, go for it; it certainly doesn't hurt.

The machine is a tumbler, the concentration is called fraction of oxygen or FO2 and the meter is called an oxygen analyzer. Its been said that spinning the cylinder right after it was blended helps the gasses mix quicker if you need to analyze it right after the fill otherwise just let the cylinder sit and then analyze.

It works.. the mix will change after rolling.. I would have bet money this was not true.. until I saw it with my own eyes.. more than once,,

Well just to be on the safe side from now on I will shake my 108's for about five minutes as hard as I can.

Well just to be on the safe side from now on I will shake my 108's for about five minutes as hard as I can.

I like mine shaken, not stirred, as well.

Bob
------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Roll your own.

Roll your own.

If you get the opportunity, fill them on their side, then stand them up. Fill another one (or set) upright, then roll them around. Compare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom