Welland River ( Chippawa Creek Sections)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove the two lower sections of Chippawa Creek this past weekend.

Started at the Public boat launch just up from Marina off Lyons Creek Road/ Main Street in Chippawa. Being a holiday weekend and a stunning day there was quite a bit of boat traffic

Current starts slow but soon picks up, You have a depth of about 35 feet to play with here. A ton of bottles and other garbage related items on the bottom. Alot of current direction changes in the first 20 mins or so of the dive. After about 50 minutes of drifting you should end up at the Stanley ave bridge at the Chippawa Creek, If you stay left at the 30 min mark you should find many many golf balls.

The second leg is the Chippawa creek at Stanley Ave. The access is pretty easy here, under the bridge, but it drops off fast, and current is quite strong at descend. It drops off to 30 or so feet right away and you are greeted by a rusted out car right away.

You pass a few other things, tires, bottles, a pick up truck. golf balls, shopping carts, on a very quick drift. After about 50 mins you should be close to the last parking lot across from the Niagara Falls Humane Society. Stay out away from tree, long shallow grasses will make your exit a pain. about 35 feet max. Current 1-2

Both of these dives will require a SMB to warn boaters of your presence.

Vis is poor at best. A lot of sediment

Lots of golfballs this time around :) Doing it again tonight. Visibility is not bad.

Loved riding on top of a cash register tray for a little bit

Viz under 2 feet yesterday. There was no light from surface reaching bottom. So it made for a dark drift dive.

it was night time starting at 10ft. Thank god I brought my light, never expected it to be that bad.

Made the best out of it and did an hour and 20mins dive in that darkness. We worked on our buddy skills and I worked more on my buyouancy skills w/ my new doubles.

Only found 2 golf balls :( but again, we couldnt see much.

I did find some bones ...good sized too :p

Well that is bad on the viz side, wait till it gets to November, then you can get 10 ft or so!

I am still haunted by the four old perfume bottles that I overflew in July...I didn't bring a screwdriver to jam into the bottom, and got blown past those beauties before I could grab them. About 2 minutes from the old car.

hmmm will keep an eye out for those. I will need to switch to dry diving soon though

Back
Top Bottom