Anyone use an Aqua Lung Axiom? Comfortable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there - I recently bought an Aqau Lung Axiom (without the I3) because at my LDS it felt very comfortable. In the water it was still comfortable (particularly because it took a lot of weight off of my back due to the wrapture system), but while diving it put a tremendous amount of weight on my hips. After about 80 minutes of diving, it was really uncomfortable on my hips. Perhaps it was because I had too much weight in the weight pockets (7 pounds on each side). Anyone have any experience with this?

I love mine! Most comfortable jacket bc I've ever used.

I've not had the problem with weight, and I've run it light to fully loaded.

Sounds like you might need to check how much weight your diving with. Being over weight-ed would cause those symptoms...

I really like the feel of my axiom! I am diving with 9 lbs per pocket and it seems comfortable! I haven't got much experience to share, but maybe it is a touch to big as I know mine just sits at the very top of my hips and gives me no discomfort!

First, I would check your weight requirements, you may be spot on but I suspect you are a few lbs heavy. Second, are you carrying hard weight or soft weights? If hard, maybe a switch to soft may help. Third, the posters that said they liked the BC are from the north which makes me think they are wearing thicker wetsuits when they dive. I am not sure if you are diving wet or not but a wetsuit, even a shortie may help. Fourth, are you sure the BC fits properly? If lose the weight pockets may be bouncing back and forth hitting your hips as you kick. Check your adjustments. If all else fails try a weight belt and see if that eliminates the problem.

I don't have the axiom, but I do have the Dimension, which (when I tried them on in the shop) seems to fit similarly to the Axiom, aside from being back inflate rather than jacket.

I dive with 8 or 10lb in each pocket (Depending on exposure suit) and have no problems with it. However, that is in cold water so I'm, at a minimum, wearing a 7mm farmer john, jacket, and hood, which is a heck of a lot of buoyancy. I also have another 10lbs in the trim pockets (5 each) and no weight belt. I notice it says you are in Miami, so I imagine you're wearing a thinner exposure suit. As others have said, are you properly weighted for the conditions? You are also a relatively new diver, so it's probably pretty likely that you are overweighted. I'd work on tuning in that weighting and focusing on losing a few lbs of lead. (But don't underweight yourself either, remember you need to be able to hold a 15' stop with ~500psi left.)

I have two Axioms, one with I3 the other without. Sizing is very important on these BCDs.

The shoulder straps need to be well adjusted or the weight will ride on your hips. As said don't use hard weights.

Love mine and sold my SP Glide Pros...

I have two Axioms, one with I3 the other without. Sizing is very important on these BCDs.

The shoulder straps need to be well adjusted or the weight will ride on your hips. As said don't use hard weights.

Love mine and sold my SP Glide Pros...

Guys, I think you have figured out this issue. First off, I am NOT wearing a wetsuit. In Miami, during this time of the year, we don't need to dive with a wetsuit, so I am only wearing a bathing suit.

And, more importantly, I think the size of my Axiom might be too large. I am using a M/L, which, according to the Aqualung sizing chart should fit me. I am 6 feet tall and 180 lbs. However, because I have a slender build, I think maybe I should try just the M? What size do you dive with in this BC? Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Guys, I think you have figured out this issue. First off, I am NOT wearing a wetsuit. In Miami, during this time of the year, we don't need to dive with a wetsuit, so I am only wearing a bathing suit.

And, more importantly, I think the size of my Axiom might be too large. I am using a M/L, which, according to the Aqualung sizing chart should fit me. I am 6 feet tall and 180 lbs. However, because I have a slender build, I think maybe I should try just the M? What size do you dive with in this BC? Thanks!

Well, I went to my LDS, and he said that I really should keep my ML. He said that a medium will be too small for my build, especially if I am wearing a suit. The issue is that weights are digging into my hip bones. I am going to try and dive again with my bc, but try and push the weights to the back of the release-able weight compartments, and have the weights held in that location in the compartment with a rubber band. That way, the weights will be prohibited from falling towards the front of the compartment and on to my hip bones. Perhaps that will make it better. Obviously, If I pick up a steel tank, and I go weightless, that might solve the issue as well.

I just puchased the Axiom w/I3 in a M/L. I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs. When I tried the medium on, it fit fine in the waist and chest but it was too short on me and a large was the right length but big around the sides, even cinched all the way down. Since you've already dove with yours, you're the only one who can tell if it's the right size or not. I'd try lightening the weight like it was suggested and see if that help any?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom