Geo Mode Button Inop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SC_Hoaty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Geo (not Geo 2.0) where the Mode button does not work. It will go into dive mode in the water, but I cannot do things like set the FO2 for nitrox. It needs attention.

I see on the Oceanic site that digital insturments have a rate of $125 for Factory Full Service and Calibration.

Should I work through an Oceanic dealer with this issue, or send it direct to the factory?

Thanks!

I have a Geo (not Geo 2.0) where the Mode button does not work. It will go into dive mode in the water, but I cannot do things like set the FO2 for nitrox. It needs attention.

I see on the Oceanic site that digital insturments have a rate of $125 for Factory Full Service and Calibration.

Should I work through an Oceanic dealer with this issue, or send it direct to the factory?

Thanks!

Hi SC_Hoaty,

I would love to say I have the answer for you, but unfortunately my Oceanic Geo is doing exactly the same thing.
It still functions as a watch and does show the "wet" display when wet. The problem is that all the mode functions are gone.
I would like to know how you got on with this.

I don't have the data cable for this but was interested to know if the DC was hooked up to a computer whether it would shock it back into life.
Have you tried this?

Funny thing is that this is the model that the factory replaced after my first one decided to eat the batteries (see many previous posts all over the internet)!

Cheers,
Warren

Hi SC_Hoaty,

I would love to say I have the answer for you, but unfortunately my Oceanic Geo is doing exactly the same thing.
It still functions as a watch and does show the "wet" display when wet. The problem is that all the mode functions are gone.

I don't have the data cable for this but was interested to know if the DC was hooked up to a computer whether it would shock it back into life.
Have you tried this?

Funny thing is that this is the model that the factory replaced after my first one decided to eat the batteries (see many previous posts all over the internet)!

Cheers,
Warren

Current status is that I left it with a dealer who claims to have a good tech on staff. This was just a couple days ago, so he has yet to look at it and see if there is anything short of sending it back to Oceanic that can be done.

When I know more I will post it, since you have asked.

I recently had a problem with one of my Oceanic products. I returned it to my LDS, they sent it in. Though it was out of warranty it was replaced with no questions asked or cost incurred, (except postage).

I, of course, am perfectly happy with the customer service I received from my LDS and Oceanic.

Thanks I am curious to know how they deal with this.

dmoore19,

Like I mentioned, my last Geo was well out of the guarantee period and they did not hesitate to send me a new DC.
I was hoping that there would be a quick fix for this problem.

Hi SC_Hoaty,

Have you tried this?

Cheers,
Warren

Feels good not to be alone (not!): same here. The "don't eat batteries fix" cost me 65 EUR, and shortly after the button was stuck. I decided to dump it :depressed:

Feels good not to be alone (not!): same here. The "don't eat batteries fix" cost me 65 EUR, and shortly after the button was stuck. I decided to dump it :depressed:

Hi Memorex,

Sorry to hear that. Not a bad unit when it works, but if I get it fixed, it will be going before it breaks in some other weird way.

What are you using now?

I have been checking out the Suunto d4i which looks a nice unit.

Warren

I had already bought an Oceanic VT3 and wanted to use the Geo as backup device, or even bottom timer. Therefore it was especially annoying that I couldn't switch modes through the software either.

And now the rest of the story...

The shop tech could not work any magic, so the shop sent it to Oceanic (with my concurrence). Oceanic does a swap on units like this, so I received a refurbished unit. I picked it up today, and so far it seems fine. 1 year warranty on the refurb unit. Cost was $125 for the Oceanic fee, and about $5 postage the LDS incurred.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom