Shearwater Petrel....preorder???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Im thinking about doing a preorder of the Petrel....against my own better judgement. I dont like to buy the first of anything (car, electronics, etc) since they often have bugs and issues............

Should I just suck it up and order it with trust in Shearwater that most of the bugs are worked out???? or....does smart money say wait a few months and risk the likely 4+ month backorder since I think everyone is going to want this thing!

They are out; I've seen one in a dive shop (Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs -- probably farther than you want to drive). We should be getting reports soon.

What the heck, live on the wild side and pre-order now. You can update the firmware later. Bruce

What the heck, live on the wild side and pre-order now. You can update the firmware later. Bruce

Sorry - I should have been more clear. Im not real concerned with the software since it is so easy to update, and since its based on the predator V45. Im more concerned with the new form factor and shell.

They aren't released for general shipments yet, but there are a few out there.

The Petrel housing uses the same material as the Predator.

Bruce

They aren't released for general shipments yet, but there are a few out there.

The Petrel housing uses the same material as the Predator.

Bruce

Same material...but different size, different pressure points for sealing ( 8 face screws instead of 10)etc.

Im sure you guys have done your homework - but you have to understand anyone skepticism at anything "new".

Either way - I think we are preordering 5 of them this weekend! Based on Shearwaters reputation for always doing the right thing, we figure we cant get hurt!

Reactions: Jax
No need to have any skepticism when it comes to Shearwater. I would order 10, 5 is going to sell very quickly. The word is out on how good these guys are.

Once you dive with Shearwater you will never change, simple as that!!!

You shoud pre order it, so if you do, in a near futur they will be a lot of users that will be able to talk about it. So I'll be able to decide whether or not I should buy it :) :) :) :)

They are out; I've seen one in a dive shop (Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs -- probably farther than you want to drive). We should be getting reports soon.

That one's mine ... got it in the mail yesterday ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom