Cressi Leonardo or Suunto Zoop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfox007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everyone,

I am currently going through my PADI OW cert, and want to invest in my first computer before we do our lake dives. I don't want to go too crazy with my first computer, so I have been looking at the Suunto Zoop (Wrist Style) and the Cressi Leonardo (Wrist Style). Since they are both right around $300, I am trying to see if there are any major benefits of one over the other.

One of the things that is pushing me towards the Suunto is the DM4 software. I know the Leonardo does have PC integration, but I haven't been able to see any info on it. I am a tech-savvy guy and I like what I see from the DM4.

Also, I won't need air integration as I plan on having an air-integrated console for that.

Anyone have experience with either unit? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!!

I have the Leonardo. It's a good computer. Easy to use and the big screen is nice.

I just bought the download kit. It shows you the profiles in chart form and let's you use it as a dive log. It's fairly basic and I think it could use some updates to add more features. As a tech savvy guy myself the computer is great, the software is good enough but could be better.

I don't have any other dive computer experience to compare it to.

Get the zoop!

It is a great dive com and inexpensive. It has lots of features and everything you need to see is on one screen.
I just got one to replace my old Suunto Gekko and looked specifically for the zoop because like the gekko it has a phosphorescent screen.
There is no back-light, or a need for a back light. Just charge it up for about 5 seconds with your dive light and it is easy to see even in total darkness.
During night dives I will use it over my Aeris T3, the same as I used to use the gekko. No need to push a button, just glance and go.
The only thing better then the zoop is a gekko for me because I'm not fond of yellow or orange for color options, but no longer available new.
If downloading dives is something important to you, I'm not sure if it has that capability, I don't DL dives, just make a few notes when useful.

Leisurepro.com has the zoop for $249, and the vyper air(mentioned below) for $324. Don't know if you need to spend the xtra cash for the gauge mode, but both in your budget and great options.

Last edited:
+1 for the Zoop. Does what is needed, rugged, reliable - you'll still be loving it 15 years from now (as I do my old Viper).

The old Gekko was pc-downloadable via a hack for the DM software. The only thing stopping connection was that the 'port' wasn't set to be recognized.

I believe the Zoop is interfaced with DM4 as standard. There are generic branded cables available - far, far cheaper than buying direct from Suunto.. :wink:

I'd still like to know if the Zoop has (or can be hacked to have) Guage Mode? Anyone REALLY know -- as in, has anyone put a Zoop into Guage Mode?

+1 Zoop

Bend it on you first dive and it becomes a gauge/BT

I would not really by your choice based on the dm4 software

I have a suunto comp and use the dm4, but I would not buy a product for it. There is much better third party dive software out there.

That being said I am very happy with my Suunto. I got a Vyper Air, because it has gauge mode

I'd still like to know if the Zoop has ....Guage Mode? ...
No. Unless you violate its decompression procedure and put it in Error mode :shakehead:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

---------- Post Merged at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:05 PM ----------

...... I have been looking at the Suunto Zoop (Wrist Style) and the Cressi Leonardo (Wrist Style). ....
Whatever model you buy make sure to learn how to properly use it. We have online tutorials and simulators for both models. Additionally, divePAL supports log downloading for the Zoop (not yet for the Leonardo :depressed:)

divepal_zoop_20120909.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom