PADI Open Water Course ON SIDEMOUNT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes... it's true.

Latest PADI Training Bulletin states that sidemount config (single or double tank) is acceptable for OW classes (assuming instructor is suitably qualified to teach sidemount).

PADI Training Bulletin - Third Quarter 2012

Thoughts? Reactions?

PADI never did demand any particular configuration to be used. It's not a surprise, just a confirmation of what we already knew.

R..

A Hollis SMS50 with a single 40 is quite manageable for kids even. It's kinda neat to watch.

Ya, I was looking forward to doing it for UTD but now the PADI folks have given me the opportunity to introduce them to the world of sidemount as soon as they walk through the door as well. Nice.

Are Jr.Divers able to take OW in SM? I know a few wanting too.

I have to ask -- what is the lure of a sidemount setup for a single tank? I have dived that way, and I didn't like it very much. You are inevitably off-balance, and although I've got enough experience to compensate for that, new divers don't. Monkey diving is another story, because the scooter gives you your stability, but swimming? And I sure wouldn't put a new diver in a double tank setup, sidemount or otherwise.

Don't know. We had Jeff Loflin at the shop for two days of "Discover Sidemount". He had folks of all ranges of experience trying out all combinations.

Hey Lynne, checkout "why UTD is so different" on YouTube (I'm on my iPad and can't link), really interesting video of new open water, sidemount student, on scooter.

Back
Top Bottom