Finding Dive Buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealsix14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So It's been a while since I've posted but I finally got my Intro/Basic Cave Certification this past weekend and now I can't wait to get back down there and go diving some more. The only problem I have is. I don't know anyone cave certified. So how do you find dive buddies if you don't know anyone? Should I just head down to Ginnie, or peacock, and just hope someone there doesn't have a buddy or lets me join their Team of 2?

So It's been a while since I've posted but I finally got my Intro/Basic Cave Certification this past weekend and now I can't wait to get back down there and go diving some more. The only problem I have is. I don't know anyone cave certified. So how do you find dive buddies if you don't know anyone? Should I just head down to Ginnie, or peacock, and just hope someone there doesn't have a buddy or lets me join their Team of 2?

I would talk to your instructor, and if they can't help then maybe post on cavediver.net.

I'm just finishing Full Cave (tomorrow hopefully). Would love to find a buddy for Wed and Thurs.

Thanks, I checked out cave diver.net and will probably be posting for buddies on their.

rakkis, sorry wish I could be I won't be back for a while. Hope you find a buddy though.

Finding good dive buddies is tough, man, there are a lot of loose cannons out and about.

Posting on here can help you find like-minded folks, as is getting involved with the NFSA, the NSS-CDS, and GUE. NFSA and CDS (and I guess the NACD when it isn't busy self-destructing) hold workshops and get togethers fairly regularly. It also helps to get involved with project dives to learn from people with a metric ****-tonne of experience.

When I started cave diving, I tried the "show up and hope for the best" thing a few times, and it never ended well. I got heavily involved with GUE, and now I feel like I have an endless supply of excellent dive buddies.

Finding good dive buddies is tough, man, there are a lot of loose cannons out and about.

Posting on here can help you find like-minded folks, as is getting involved with the NFSA, the NSS-CDS, and GUE. NFSA and CDS (and I guess the NACD when it isn't busy self-destructing) hold workshops and get togethers fairly regularly. It also helps to get involved with project dives to learn from people with a metric ****-tonne of experience.

When I started cave diving, I tried the "show up and hope for the best" thing a few times, and it never ended well. I got heavily involved with GUE, and now I feel like I have an endless supply of excellent dive buddies.
Similar experience here. While I have never taken a GUE class, it has been my observation after diving with a couple dozen people that GUE does a better job with quality control. I've never had any issues with GUE buddies, however with other agencies I've had some good and some bad experience.

Talking to your instructor is the best route-- that way you at least have some form of quality control.

I joined the NFSA and am going to be joining the NSS-CDS soon so hopefully I can start meeting more people. I've already started seeing familiar faces at the dive sites. Guess It just takes some time.

I feel your frustration. I completed my full tec cave a couple of months ago and I only have 1 reliable buddy. I considered doing some solo dives:gun: but luckily sanity kicked in. That will have to wait for another 100 more cave hours before considering it again :blessing:

It's rough at times. I used to have a group I dove with all the time. Then I moved a could not find anyone. I started solo dives for a long time, but then started going to more socials and have found some great buddies that way.

Just never dive with someone not willing to do a simple mainline limited penetration dive first. I even do just cavern dives with new buddies to see how we work together first.

At least I know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully I can find some good buddies before I head back down to the caves in a month or so. I'm also doing my apprentice/full in December so I'm really looking forward to getting a lot more time in the caves before then.

And on another note, Is my SAC rate awful if I only made It through the key hole at ginnie after going through the catacombs? We barely made it through the keyhole before I hit my turn pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom