Canon S95's Ikelite Housing came apart under water - has this happened to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MermaidLaura

Registered
Reaction score
I was diving with my S95 in Ikelite housing this weekend with a buddy of mine who was using the same setup but with a wide angle lense with 67mm thread which screws on to the end of the port part of the housing.

Halfway through the dive, when he unscrewed the wide angle lense, he looked down to find out the "port" part of the housing had unscrewed along with the WA lense, :shocked2::shocked2:causing instant flooding! You should have seen his face - he could not believe what he was looking at - and neither could I!

I was shocked - I did not even know the "port" part of the housing unscrewed. Has this happened to anyone else before - and how could this have happened!!!?

Please be aware that the port is screwed in to the housing and can be unscrewed whilst unscrewing a wa or other attachment using the 67mm thread. The threads run the same way!

Crazy that Ikelite did not make the thread attaching the "port" to the housing run in the opposite direction to the thread on the lense part of the port!! Or at least warn us!!

Scarey!!

Last edited:
MermaidLaura,

We are very sorry to hear of your friends mishap. Please encourage them to send the housing and 67mm accessory lens to the Ikelite Service Department for evaluation.

Have them send the equipment along with a brief letter of explanation or this thread, and full contact information to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn. Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.
Indianapolis, IN 46208

Tell them to include their name, complete return address, email, phone number, and the stated problem or service request. Normal service completion time is 2-3 weeks.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

When I had my wet lens screwed onto my housing, one of the times I was unscrewing, I saw the front of the lens barrel unscrewing too and I thought WTF and screwed the whole thing back real tight, then held onto the lens barrel and unscrewed the wet lens. When I got to the surface, I was unable to unscrew the front lens of the housing with all my might. I must have imagined it. Narcosis?

Anyway, I always grease up the thread before screwing on the wet lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom