I love this time of year....the *BEST* cave in FL is back :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucfdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Waiting in slightly better viz, but if you're one of those people who say Jackson Blue or Ginnie is your favorite cave dive in FL you need to put this on your todo list, there's really no valid excuse for not diving here!

Cave dive Florida- Indian Springs, downstream passages - YouTube

DSC5223-L.jpg

DSC5101-L.jpg

DSC5233-L.jpg
DSC5066-L.jpg

Spectacular photos......

I've seen a handful of caves, and there is NOTHING better than Indian.

The upstream is a 150' avg dive, and the downstream is quite a bit shallower at 80-90ft avg (after a quick dip to 140' or so on the way in) with downright massive rooms. When conditions are right, the water is air clear fading into cobalt blue. Truly a beautiful cave and worth all the effort needed to go dive it.

What is the flow like there?

Imperceptible every time I've been in there, but there is *slight* flow, I guess.

Sometimes water from the basin comes in down through the entrance passageway (called the 'mud tunnel') and makes a left hand turn to the downstream side. The vis upstream can be super clear, but downstream is crappy.

I think Brian (litehedded) dove there once when it was like that, and there was a like wall of gross water. I'm sure he can give you a better description.

What is the flow like there?

Peacock like. When I dove last I experienced a SLIGHT siphon until we hit the first UP/DOWNstream T, then I didn't detect any flow. The following week, downstream viz declined.

So it sounds as though the downstream cave is something I could someday do . . . if I could find a guide who would take me :)

I think you could do either side if you really wanted :)

After you take that right hand turn upstream, gas just goes a little bit quicker, and the ascent is a little bit slower. Big, beautiful, crystal clear, and awesome.

So it sounds as though the downstream cave is something I could someday do . . . if I could find a guide who would take me :)

You just focus on making your way to FL, getting a guide at Indian is super easy-- everyone wants to dive there, even the people who have done it 100 times :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom