Diving doubles at Troy springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealsix14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I've read that they don't like you doing with full cave gear at troy springs, but I wasn't sure if they cared about just using doubles or not? I'm going there with an Intermediate scuba class ( SSI AOW) through school just for fun and while everyone is there to do their "Deep" dive I was going to just be using my doubles rig and get more practice but wanted to make sure they won't care if i'm in doubles or not?

So I've read that they don't like you doing with full cave gear at troy springs, but I wasn't sure if they cared about just using doubles or not? I'm going there with an Intermediate scuba class ( SSI AOW) through school just for fun and while everyone is there to do their "Deep" dive I was going to just be using my doubles rig and get more practice but wanted to make sure they won't care if i'm in doubles or not?
As long as you don't carry a light, you're fine. If any questions arise, explain politely what you're doing to the park ranger and I don't see any issues.

Rules are fuzzy there and often left to the ranger, so it's a toss up. I went monkey diving on afternoon and they didn't like that I took a scooter there...

Where is a good place to dive OW that is doubles friendly? I'm passing thru the area and will be meeting and old buddy to do some OW springs diving... mainly to knock some rust off and just enjoy the clear water.

Where is a good place to dive OW that is doubles friendly? I'm passing thru the area and will be meeting and old buddy to do some OW springs diving... mainly to knock some rust off and just enjoy the clear water.

Blue Grotto, Troy (if allowed-- call and check), Orange Grove Sink, Ginnie Ballroom, Paradise, Volushia Blue (worst park rangers anywhere in FL, VERY rude!), Morrison, Vortex, Catfish Hotel to name a few.

Paradise can eat your lunch. Be careful in there.

Thanks, That's what I've heard but wasn't sure.

And I don't see the issue with a Scooter...Seems like their quite paranoid.

Thanks, That's what I've heard but wasn't sure.

And I don't see the issue with a Scooter...Seems like their quite paranoid.

I believe at issue are folks taking scooters into the caves. Folks who cannot ride a scooter without bouncing off the walls, floor and ceiling, and who are unable to construct a proper gas plan for scootering in a cave.

I believe at issue are folks taking scooters into the caves. Folks who cannot ride a scooter without bouncing off the walls, floor and ceiling, and who are unable to construct a proper gas plan for scootering in a cave.
I could understand that concern if there was a cave at Troy...

Well... there's a lined side mount tunnel low and on the right as you look into the overhang (it's not really a cavern) at Troy that goes maybe 100'-150'...but you couldn't fit a scooter in it. I think it's a great place for an OW scooter dive/monkey dive.

I've been there a couple times in full cave attire and never had an issue with rangers and have encountered and talked with them both times. I was never aware of any doubles or full cave gear restrictions - but then maybe that depends on who you are, what your intentions are and whether or not you look like you know what you are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom