How do you know your BCD is fully dry after rinsing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am the owner of my first new BCD and I rinsed it with water after diving with it in a quarry (yeah I know, no salt to worry about, but practice doesn’t hurt!). I inflated it, hung it upside down and pulled on the dump valve and manual inflate button to release air and force out the water. I repeated this 3x and the BCD stopped spitting out water, but how can you be sure it is dried out? Is it bad if there is a little bit of water left in it? Next time I plan to dive is in December, 3-4 months from now…

Best way is to keep dumping and see what comes out.

Usually I let a little out of the inflator by pressing the deflate button while holding the BC upside down (slightly tilted).
That's just to give it a small rinse. After that I find it's way easier to hang the BC, tilt it, and then dump out the butt dump.
If you live in a non-humid environment, it shouldn't take too many repetitions until you only get a small drop of two. Waiting 30mins after that point usually produces a bit more, as a lot of water will still cling to the walls of your bladder. Just be sure to keep it hung so it all drips down to the butt dump.

Usually I also tap and shake the corrugated inflator hose and press the deflate. You'd be surprised how much water is retained on the walls of that hose.

Once the water stops coming out, just make sure you store it partially inflated. A little mouth wash in the rinse helps ward off bacteria and mold but I don't think most people find it is a problem either way.

Once the water stops coming out, just make sure you store it partially inflated. A little mouth wash in the rinse helps ward off bacteria and mold but I don't think most people find it is a problem either way.

Good point, I forgot to mention that you should store it partially inflated. I don't think the mouthwash helps though, but that's up to debate.
The way I see it, there's only about 21.6% alcohol in mouthwash. Once you add it to the rinse tub that amount really become minimal. I think it can in fact lead to bacteria growth, since most moutwash contain sorbitol (sugar alcohol) to make it sweet. Bacteria can feed on sorbitol, and I doubt most of it is killed by the little amount of alcohol you might present in the rinse tub.

Most of my friends who rinse w/ diluted mouthwash have foul smelling booties.

Why let is dry out at all? As long you you get rid of the salt water, a little fresh water is not going to hurt the bladder.

OK, I gave the BCD a few puffs of breath and put it in storage. Thanks!

Good point, I forgot to mention that you should store it partially inflated. I don't think the mouthwash helps though, but that's up to debate.
The way I see it, there's only about 21.6% alcohol in mouthwash. Once you add it to the rinse tub that amount really become minimal. I think it can in fact lead to bacteria growth, since most moutwash contain sorbitol (sugar alcohol) to make it sweet. Bacteria can feed on sorbitol, and I doubt most of it is killed by the little amount of alcohol you might present in the rinse tub.

Most of my friends who rinse w/ diluted mouthwash have foul smelling booties.

Usually when people recommend mouthwash they recommend the original Listerine, not anything sweetened. Also you pour the mouthwash into the inflator and swish it around after rinsing and then pour it out. You do not add it to rinse water because it will be too diluted. For wetsuits and booties use baby shampoo and dry well before storage.

I have never tried this but read in Boardroom Reports that if your shoes smell then you should put them in a bag and place them in the freezer for a day or so. The cold temperatures in the freezer will kill the bacteria that makes the shoes smell. I guess it would also work if it was freezing outside. I am not sure though if the cold would damage the neoprene. So try it with something old first.

Agree here. I have found it almost impossible to fully dry the inside of a wing/BCD bladder. Getting all the salt out is the key. If not diving, I usually leave mine in a well ventilated area with all valves off once I'm done rinsing and gotten most of the water out.

Why let is dry out at all? As long you you get rid of the salt water, a little fresh water is not going to hurt the bladder.

Usually when people recommend mouthwash they recommend the original Listerine, not anything sweetened. Also you pour the mouthwash into the inflator and swish it around after rinsing and then pour it out. You do not add it to rinse water because it will be too diluted.

I'll have to forward that to my friends.

Back
Top Bottom