Oceanic Geo 2 S Button Hold Not Ignoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archiebald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just bought a Geo 2.

According to the manual and the Dive Computer Training videos, if you change a value, then want to ignore it (not save it) then you should hold the S button in for more than 2 seconds. If you want to save the data then you just press the S button momentarily.

Mine doesn't. If I just press it, or press and hold it the data is always saved.

This has firmware revision 1E.

Could anyone with a Geo 2 please check and confirm if the manual is wrong, problem with the computer or I am going batty

Firmware 1b

Mine saves when holding SELECT as well. Holding SELECT functions more as a "back up" through the menu rather than "cancel" (which the PC documentation agrees with) I can't find a reference in the manual that says holding S down will discard changes. though I do admit it sounds familiar, likely from the Dive Computer training, which I did a while ago

Thanks for replying - it seems I am not going mad after all.

I just double checked, in the Dive Computing training video it definitely repeatedly says "Hold the SELECT button to ignore the value and step back to the menu, OR press the SELECT button to save the value and move on to the next item".

That is quite clear, and quite clearly it is wrong.

As for the manual, I really couldn't work out what they were trying to say...., on page 13 it says;
S (< 2 sec) - to access or save selections
S (2 sec) - to step back to previous selection
(True, it doesn't say if it saves or not but since the S < 2 sec action specifically says "save" then it implies that this action does something different)

On page 22 in the Watch section it says;
S (< 2 sec) - to save the setting and revert to Lead-in.
S (2 sec) - to step back to Lead-in, if no change. (specifically suggests no change)

Again on page 29 and in several other places it says;
S (< 2 sec) - to save Set Point and access Set Watch Default Time.
S (2 sec) - to step back to Set Date Format. (doesn't mention saving)

or variations of that such as...
S (< 2 sec) - to save the setting and access Set Depth Alarm.
S (2 sec) - to revert to Set A Lead-in. ("revert" normally means to go back to the original condition)

There are other "interesting" phrases such as;
Page 54 - "Set Points remain as set until changed". :rofl3:

So while I admit that the manual doesn't specifically say that data changes will be discarded if the S button is held for 2 seconds, the way it is written is very vague and easy to misunderstand. On top of that it seems that the Dive Computing team clearly read it the wrong way when they made their videos.

Anyhow, thanks for confirming I don't have a problem.

The manual has got to be one of the worst I ever read. Canon cameras sometimes have questionable wording but they have the excuse that the original was made in Japan.

I was under the impression that Oceanic computers were made in the USA (maybe mistakenly) - but I really doubt that claim based on the poor quality of the manual. Sounds more like it has been badly translated from Chinese.

Definitely not the best manual I will agree. I'd be surprised to find out the 2.0 is made in USA. If it was made in USA I'm sure it would be very promimently labeled as such on the box (which it isn't)

Back
Top Bottom