Donut Wings for Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd love to hear feedback from people on the pros and cons of different doubles donut wings, specifically for drysuit diving twin 100s with a typical DIR setup (canister light, argon bottle, etc.).

I have been looking at the following wings and have had the following thoughts and/or questions (some of my observations could be mistaken, esp given that I am referencing mainly pics and specs):

1. Halcyon 40# Evolve: Largish overall profile and sizeable center panel, something that might allow the wing to better accommodate lots of attachments without interference. Most substantial lift across the bottom compared to every other such wing that I have seen. Slightly elevated lower OPV, something that might be designed to better accommodate the argon bottle (?). The 40# Evolve, if my info is correct, is ~29" tall and ~27" wide. The 60# Evolve is ~27" tall and ~29" wide. 60# of lift is way too much for me; however, I like the shape of the 60# Evolve better. Is there some reason why I should appreciate the long shape of the 40# Evolve for my twin 100 rig? Seems the 40# Evolve might have twin AL80s in mind? Or perhaps twin steel LP85s?

2. DSS Torus 38# and 42#: The center panel on both is minimal--9" across--so these wings have a rather low profile. The 38# is shorter and wider (22"X26") than the Torus 42# (24"X23"). Not sure which would be best for twin PST E7-100s, which are ~24" long. The E7s remain a tad bottom heavy on me, so I'm inclined to go for the 42# version, which might afford more lift down by the bottom of the tanks. Not sure if my assumption here is correct. No zipper on these wings, so I won't be flushing out the interior, at least not thoroughly, as I typically do when rinsing/soaking.

3. Oxycheq Vertex 42#: Have found no exact size specs anywhere. Conventionally shaped, similar to the Torus 42#.

Strikes me that all these wings are very well built. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. I'm just interested in observations, esp from experience, on the finer aspects of the wings, esp regarding how they trim out a twin 100 rig.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I have a Halcyon Evolve 40, and a DSS Torus 38.

The lack of a zipper on the DSS isn't a factor for me, I've never found a need to unzip a wing that had a zipper anyway.

The Evolve 40 is a couple of inches taller than the Torus 38, and the Torus 38 is a little wider.
I use both on double 80's, about the same height as your 100's I believe.

There are 3 sets of holes in the DSS, so you can adjust the wing up or down in relation to it's position on the tank.
The Halcyon has one set of holes, so no adjustment up and down can be made. The position is fine however.

Even if the Halcyon had extra holes, the height of the wing is pretty close to the height of the tanks, so you probably couldn't adjust it anyway.

The DSS would allow for some up-down adjustment.

I also have a Halcyon Explorer 55 for use with double 95's, because the Evolve 40 is too tall for those tanks (IMO)...it would work, but the Explorer 55 fits better.

I only mention that as a frame of reference for height comparison.

The quality of both the Halcyon and DSS are obviously very good.
I've owned Oxycheq, and Dive Rite previously....for a variety of reasons, I only use DSS and Halcyon now.

I don't know anything about the DSS 42 or it's dimensions.

Hope that helps a little.

-Mitch

Paul get DSS49 and you be happy camper. 40lb is a bit too small if you want some bottles.

Thanks, Mitch! Really appreciate the info. Are you referring to AL80s or steel 80s? My HP100s are ~24" tall, only a fraction of an inch taller than Faber LP95s (it's 24.12" vs 23.8"; I own 2 Faber LP95s). AL80s are up around 26" tall (unless they are the Luxfer S80s). There are some different steel 80s out there, ranging from ~19.4" to ~24" tall.

In other words, in terms of length, the Halcyon 40# Evolve and DSS Torus 38# wings would seem to serve very different kinds of tanks, at least different in terms of height.

It would be hugely helpful if you could confirm the precise difference in height between the 40# Evolve and 38# Torus--when fully inflated. Given that you own both wings this is a great opportunity to get exact information.

Many thanks again!

Paul

I have aluminum 80 doubles, Catalina.
My gear is packed up at the moment....I'm getting ready to fly out to a carrier.

I'll be back in a week....I'll send pics then.

---------- Post Merged at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Never mind...stand by.

I'll send some pics in a few. ;-)

---------- Post Merged at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Here are some pictures of the tanks and wings.
My DSS Torus 38 has been appropriated by one of my dive buddies (he did choose wisely) ;-)

The wings pictured are the DSS Torus 49, Halcyon Evolve 40, and the Halcyon Explorer 55.

Tanks pictured are double Catalina aluminum 80's, and Faber steel LP 95's.

You'll have to look at Tobin's site to see the differences between the Torus 38 and 49. At least these pictures will give you a frame of reference.

1.) Evolve 40 and Explorer 55.
2.) Evolve 40 and Torus 49.

IMG_0543.jpg

-MitchIMG_0542.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:43 PM ----------

IMG_0544.jpgIMG_0545.jpgIMG_0546.jpg

1.)Evolve 40 on LP 95's. The wing is too tall (I wouldn't use this wing with these tanks...just picturing them for you). The bottom of the wing touches the ground. They actually extend below the tanks, if I picked them up.

2.)Explorer 55. This wing works great with the shorter tanks. I have no preference between donut or horseshoe wings.

3.) Torus 49. Using the bottom hole...this wings fits well with the shorter tanks. You'll see pictured later...than using the other holes, it fits great on taller tanks too. This is probably not an accident......the Torus 49, and the 38 will work with tall and short tanks.

---------- Post Merged at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:43 PM ----------

IMG_0547.jpgIMG_0548.jpgIMG_0549.jpg

1.) Tank comparison: Catalina aluminum 80's and Faber LP 95's
2.) Halcyon Evolve 40 on 80's. The hole position works well.
3.) DSS Torus 49 on 80's. 3 holes allow for some adjustment.....maybe 3 holes ARE better. :)

It's hard to picture, but the DSS wing is wider fore and aft when inflated....which allows it to have a shorter height for it's volume. One of the reasons the DSS seems to fit well on short or tall tanks.

The Torus 38 is shaped the same, just scaled down. You'll have to check the DSS page for dimension comparisons. But....you get the idea.

---------- Post Merged at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:43 PM ----------

IMG_0550.jpgIMG_0551.jpg

1.) DSS Torus 49 on top of the Halcyon Evolve 40. The DSS is shorter by a couple of inches.

2.) Halcyon on top of the DSS....The DSS is wider, it's also fuller fore and aft when inflated....(see above.)

Hope that helps you out, Bro!

I'm off to finish packing. :)

-Mitch

---------- Post Merged at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:43 PM ----------

I'd love to hear feedback from people on the pros and cons of different doubles donut wings, specifically for drysuit diving twin 100s with a typical DIR setup (canister light, argon bottle, etc.).

I have been looking at the following wings and have had the following thoughts and/or questions (some of my observations could be mistaken, esp given that I am referencing mainly pics and specs):

1. Halcyon 40# Evolve: Largish overall profile and sizeable center panel, something that might allow the wing to better accommodate lots of attachments without interference. Most substantial lift across the bottom compared to every other such wing that I have seen. Slightly elevated lower OPV, something that might be designed to better accommodate the argon bottle (?). The 40# Evolve, if my info is correct, is ~29" tall and ~27" wide. The 60# Evolve is ~27" tall and ~29" wide. 60# of lift is way too much for me; however, I like the shape of the 60# Evolve better. Is there some reason why I should appreciate the long shape of the 40# Evolve for my twin 100 rig? Seems the 40# Evolve might have twin AL80s in mind? Or perhaps twin steel LP85s?
I agree with that. The Evolve 40 seems like a perfect match for doubles 80's (and LP 85's).

2. DSS Torus 38# and 42#: The center panel on both is minimal--9" across--so these wings have a rather low profile. The 38# is shorter and wider (22"X26") than the Torus 42# (24"X23"). Not sure which would be best for twin PST E7-100s, which are ~24" long. The E7s remain a tad bottom heavy on me, so I'm inclined to go for the 42# version, which might afford more lift down by the bottom of the tanks. Not sure if my assumption here is correct. No zipper on these wings, so I won't be flushing out the interior, at least not thoroughly, as I typically do when rinsing/soaking.

I just dunk all of my wings in the tub after diving. I never unzip the ones that have zippers.

3. Oxycheq Vertex 42#: Have found no exact size specs anywhere. Conventionally shaped, similar to the Torus 42#.

Strikes me that all these wings are very well built. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. I'm just interested in observations, esp from experience, on the finer aspects of the wings, esp regarding how they trim out a twin 100 rig.

Many thanks!

As was suggested by another poster, the DSS Torus 49 might be worth considering. Especially since you also have a set of LP 95's. Hopefully the pictures will be helpful in deciding.

Take care,
Mitch

Thanks, Mitch! That's great stuff, pics and data! You and Andrew have me sold on the Torus 49# wing.

Safe travels on the carrier!

Paul

No worries. Glad I could help.
They are all really good wings, but that Torus 49 really hits the sweet spot.

-Mitch

I use a DSS T-49 w/Worthington HP 100's, and a DSS SS Xtra Long bp, primarily for cave diving [wet suit]...I'm leg heavy so the doughnut shape really helps w/trim....The tanks are usually 'cave-filled' to 3600-3800psi and w/lights, reels etc. lift has never been a problem....It's been a tough, stream-lined wing that has been dragged through many tight openings w/no wear yet.......

Back
Top Bottom