Overnighting in Makassar in light of recent events

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bqualls

Contributor
Reaction score
Dream trip to Raja Ampat is next week.Never been so excited about diving anywhere. I do have some apprehension about overnighting in Makassar. We're spending a few nights in Bali and then one night in Makassar. I was planning on getting out and seeing the area for the day I was there. But, in light of recent events, I'm thinking an American might not be quite as welcome or as safe as before all these recent events. Any thoughts?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Last US Dept of State travel warning was 2004.
Worse case, say you're Canadian. Seems that no one really dislikes them.

Last edited:
If it's about that YouTube video thingy, I wouldn't worry about it - honestly speaking I haven't heard a single person mention it. I was teaching in a school in Indonesia with 100's of adult Muslim learners during the 'Danish Cartoon Crisis' a few years ago, and again at that time nobody mentioned it at all. The only thing I noticed was a slight embarrassment about the whole thing. Don't believe that what you see on TV is at all representative of what goes on in real life.

Hope this helps - have a great trip, you'll never meet nicer people than in this country (whatever their religion).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom