Longer BC corrugated hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1982shawn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok so i got to the quarry and tested out all my new gear. The BP/W works great and i already like i MUCH better than those weird jackets. The biggest problem i had today was the length of the inflator and i dont mean just the low pressure line but also the corrugated hose. I looked at the replacement hoses online and the longest one i can find is 22". I have NOT gotten a chance to measure the current hose but i estimated that an hose 10" longer would be perfect. Any ideas/suggestions? What are my options if i need a hose longer than the standard sizes listed online?

There are about 3 different types of corrugated hoses; small round, elliptical and larger round.....OMS makes the longest corrugated hose 19", although there may be another manufacture that makes longer ones, the others you can get in 12" and 16"....To be stream-lined you'll have to match the bc/inflator hose to which ever corrugated hose works best for you so they lay flat by your shoulder harness....Keep in mind the inflator will add a little additional length to the corrugated hose when choosing the bc/inflator hose length.....Leisurepro, Divegearexpress and Northeastscubasupply have good selections of both in different lengths.....I prefer to have the bc inflator connector [female part] separate from the hose....Easier to clean and can be attached to any lp hose in case you want to change hose lengths or go from Miflex to standard rubber hose.......

i bet you can get longer if you want it, and i'm not trying to tell you don't.

but live with it a bit. bungee or inner tube it to your strap so you always know where it is, and see if you end up liking it shorter. now, i'm not talking about forever, but give it 5 or 6 more dives before you decide. see if you like it when you get new muscle memory, because i bet that's the problem now - you're just used to it being longer, so it's not where you're looking for it.

then if you really want it longer, go for it.

Yes, shorter is generally better.

Any time you change something, it takes a while to get used to it. The shorter corrugated hose is quite manageable, once your hands figure out where the inflator actually IS.

On the other hand, though, if you have left the shoulder straps too loose and the whole rig is sitting way down on your back, the short hose can get pulled down to where the inflator is barely making it over your shoulder. That's very uncomfortable. I would highly recommend having someone either look at you underwater and let you know what it looks like, or even better, take a photograph of your rig as you are diving. It may be that some quick adjustments will make matters much better.

Sorry guys and gals i dont think i was very clear. When i say short i mean it barely reachs my shoulder and was often falling behind me where i had a very ahrd time reaching it.

TSandM i understand how that might be a problem, i had the DM look at it and my rig was sitting all the way(i tend to keep my straps TIGHT) I think my massive shoulders and back make the shorter hose a big problem for me. IM heading home in a bit and will be measuring the corrugated hose when i get home.

What problem do you have using your current hoses? Are you using an octo/inflator or a standard inflator?

If it is actually falling behind your shoulder, the problem may not be the hose length, but the method you are using to secure it.

I dive with a guy who is about 6'4" and does construction for a living. He uses a Halcyon setup with a short corrugated hose, and has no problem reaching it. So I think your conformation would have to be very extreme to make it not be a solvable problem.

Back
Top Bottom