Options for travel BP to match Halcyon Eclipse Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProfF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am looking for a backplate that I could use while traveling. My regular system is halcyon eclipse (SS BP + wing + STA). Due to budget considerations I would prefer to buy just BP+harness that I can use when traveling.

Surfing the web I see three types of solutions:

* Aluminium backplates at about ~$90 (or less)

* Travel SS plate $136 (OxyCheq Travel BP with "bone-like" shape)

* Soft BP, such as the OxyCheq Ultralite Traveler at $44

I am not sure what are the pro/con of these choices. If I understand correctly, the soft BP is the lightest, and either the aluminum or the SS travel BPs weight 2-2.5lb. Will the soft BP work with the Eclipse Wing (I see it advertised as a match with 18lb wing)? Do I need to use single tank adaptor (STA) with these setups? (AFAIK the wing is not suitable for having the straps directly on the BP).

Any comments/suggestions/experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Nir

Your Halcyon wing will require the use of a STA. IMO I would not bother with the potential extra 4lb of weight on your current setup vs new lighter stuff. Think how you pack and what you take with on your trip and live with it. I travel with my STA and SS plate. If weight is really of concern, take your plate carry-on!

Your Halcyon wing will require the use of a STA. IMO I would not bother with the potential extra 4lb of weight on your current setup vs new lighter stuff. Think how you pack and what you take with on your trip and live with it. I travel with my STA and SS plate. If weight is really of concern, take your plate carry-on!

Thanks! I have been doing just that in the past. But, and it is a big one, I am also photographing underwater, which means that carrying bug is already heavy with glasses and housings and such. Last trip I was overweight (28kg) and I would like to trim things down in the future.

I have that oxycheq ultralite travel. I like it for diving in warm water. The only problem I have is that the harness at the shoulders slips a little if you pick it up with a heavy tank.

I have that oxycheq ultralite travel. I like it for diving in warm water. The only problem I have is that the harness at the shoulders slips a little if you pick it up with a heavy tank.

OldNSalty, what type of wing do you have attached to it?

Thanks!

Nir

In my case I am using the oxycheq wing but they attach with sex-bolts so I assume it would work just as well with the halcyon wing.

I like the Hollis travel set up, they make great gear.
Hollis Gear: Solo

Shftrdog, thanks! I also like Hollis gear (they came out few years after I got my Halcyon setup). The problem that this would require getting a wing+BP+harness, about $400 (or more). I will save 4lb on the BP and a bit more (1lb?) on the STA.

-Nir

Check out OMS AL plate, $65 from Leisurepro. This plate is 95% similar to the Halcyon plate in term of size, shape, bend angle, bolt hole pattern. The Halcyon storage pad will fit onto OMS plate perfectlly (every hole fits). OMS is just ever so lightly wider and has more peripheral holes.

I use HOG AL plate. The reason I switched from OMS to HOG is HOG allows STA to be mounted lower than OMS plate. My head no long hit the first stage with HOG plate.

The best for travel would be to use the Oxycheq ultralight backplate w/speed harness and a travel STA with plastic cam straps. This setup would pack small and light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom