Diopter needed for Nikon 16-85mm lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pennywise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Is there anybody around with the answer to my question?
We're leaving for Egypt next week and want to try my Nikon 16-85mm lens as an allrounder (if the focus gear arrives in time :idk:).

Having read the requirement to use a +4 diopter in the Ikelite lens/port chart, I wonder if I need one using a Hugy housing instead (different radius of my 6inch dome)

Many thanks in advance!!

Don't know about Hugyfot, but Aquatica uses a 54mm spacer and +3 diopter with their big dome. Others have used them without diopter, but use +4 for 1:1 at 85mm end. Dry diopters are cheap. Why not buy a set at the camera store from +1 to +4 and try them in the pool?

Don't know about Hugyfot, but Aquatica uses a 54mm spacer and +3 diopter with their big dome. Others have used them without diopter, but use +4 for 1:1 at 85mm end. Dry diopters are cheap. Why not buy a set at the camera store from +1 to +4 and try them in the pool?

Thx Larry, maybe it's a good idea to buy a set of those dry diopters yes...
The idea is to buy an achromatic diopter if I really need one, but a good one is a lot more expensive so I will first try the cheaper ones to find out which diopter works best.....

I use the 16-85mm in an aquatica housing with a 6 inch dome. For wide angle and standard photo i use the +4 diopter. For macro i add a second +4 diopter to get 1:1 macro. By adding the diopter the lens focus is the same on land as behing dome port.

I use the 16-85mm in an aquatica housing with a 6 inch dome. For wide angle and standard photo i use the +4 diopter. For macro i add a second +4 diopter to get 1:1 macro. By adding the diopter the lens focus is the same on land as behing dome port.

Thx !! I've got a 6" dome too......

I got my +4 diopter now and tried it on land..... no way it will focus more than a couple of feet distance. Let's hope my 6"dome will do the job :)

On land photography the +4 diopter is a closeup lens for flower photography. You can get 2:1 macro very easy. Yes it will only autofocus closeup. So don't worry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom