Trying to decide the next vacation, Fiji, New Zealand, Costa Rica, or Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjukich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone. I'm trying to decide where to go on our next trip. First off here's a little background on myself and my wife so you guys can better help us decide. I'm 27, she's 25 and we have done our fair share of traveling in the past few years, Mexico, Hawaii, Belize, and parts of the US. We got back from 3 weeks in Belize in May and June and it was by far the most amazing trip we have taken. We love to scuba dive, eat good food, hike, and do pretty much anything outdoors. We found Belize great because it wasn't too touristy, there were lots of things to do off the beaten path, we got to explore lots of different parts of the country and there was awesome culture.....oh yeah and great diving!!! We are trying to decide between Fiji/New Zealand, Honduras, and Costa Rica. We are looking to spend 2-3 weeks, price isn't really a factor since we will make it work where ever. We like places that aren't too touristy but do like to stay in nice hotels with great amenities. Outdoor activities and things to do are key, we do like to lounge but not all day. We will be going in late May early June. Let me know what you guys all think!

I think my worry is stuff to do outside of diving. I know that Fiji and Honduras are both great dive sites, not sure which is better but that is only one part of the day. I also love doing all the stuff on the land, good town and culture, wildlife, fishing, and maybe even some great hikes

Hey everyone. I'm trying to decide where to go on our next trip. First off here's a little background on myself and my wife so you guys can better help us decide. I'm 27, she's 25 and we have done our fair share of traveling in the past few years, Mexico, Hawaii, Belize, and parts of the US. We got back from 3 weeks in Belize in May and June and it was by far the most amazing trip we have taken. We love to scuba dive, eat good food, hike, and do pretty much anything outdoors. We found Belize great because it wasn't too touristy, there were lots of things to do off the beaten path, we got to explore lots of different parts of the country and there was awesome culture.....oh yeah and great diving!!! We are trying to decide between Fiji/New Zealand, Honduras, and Costa Rica. We are looking to spend 2-3 weeks, price isn't really a factor since we will make it work where ever. We like places that aren't too touristy but do like to stay in nice hotels with great amenities. Outdoor activities and things to do are key, we do like to lounge but not all day. We will be going in late May early June. Let me know what you guys all think!

Done 3 trips to Fiji (Kandavu twice) Savu Savu/ Namena..great people and great diving. Kandavu is pretty far off beaten path. Just came back from great bali/komodo trip...again great diving and great people. With either you will be in Heaven and see a vastly expanded underwater world. Bali/Komodo is a cool combination of exotic, Asian, remote. Parts of bali a bit touristy but culture there is very cool. Bali has great hotels at cheap prices...the great hotels on Fiji cost more. I have been to Costa Rica and liked it but diving not as good as other places. Head West, young man. Take at least 2 weeks and 3 would be better.

Just a thought but have you considered the Philippines? your accommodations might not be 5 star but the diving is great and it's not really on the tourist track these days. It has some amazing things to see and some great diving. It's "The Mexico of the East"...

I for one think that you would love Costa Rica. We have been there 3x and still have a lot to explore. You might want to consider a combo LOB to Cocos with land based adventure stuff. We have been to Belize as well and liked Costa Rica a lot better. Tons of wildlife in Costa Rica and we had great diving in Gunacaste at El Ocotal Resort. The viz was not stellar but there was a lot of "stuff" both big and small . We also had a great trip to Cocos and combined that with Arenal and Manuel Antonio. The people are wonderful and it is a short trip compared to Asia for you from California! If you decide on Costa Rica send me a PM and I can tell you what places we thought were highlights. ( we pretty much loved everywhere we have been there) We plan on another trip to Costa Rica because there is so much to do there! Late May is a great time to go .

We have also been to New Zealand and LOVED it there as well. It is gorgeous there. We did not dive there but did combine diving in Fiji with New Zealand. We flew to NZ from Fiji for around $320 RT total for 2 of us. There is so much to do in NZ you could spend your whole trip there. We had only 13 days and barely scratched the surface. I can also tell you our highlights there.

We have also been to Honduras and it was fun but I would put it in last place on your wish list!
Have fun on what ever location you decide on!

I'm here in Palau now for over two weeks, and if I didn't have to go home to Los Angeles to vote in Tues 06 Nov General Election, I would stay out here in Micronesia/Oceania/SE Asia for the remainder of the year!

Palau Visitors Authority
Sam's Tours: Palau Diving Micronesia, Island Hopping and dive travels

Palau Hotel Resort - Palau Pacific Resort - Palau Pacific 5 Star Resort Hotel
Palau royal resort

Palau conveniently uses US Dollars currency, is relatively easy to get to, and for me is the best variety wall, reef, big schooling fish & shark/manta ray action, and drift diving in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom