fixing BC dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headtohead

Registered
Reaction score
So i have an old BC - its dump valve has cracked, other than that, its fully functional. i was looking at replacement parts and came across this company Repair Scuba Buoyancy Compensator Device (BCD) DIY Valve | eBay

Anyone tried it ? i think its way too expensive , and if i add in shipping, its a just a ultimate killer. i was also looking at what DSS and Oxycheq has to offer and even DRE - anyone has a cheaper yet effective alternative ?

What exactly do you mean by cracked? Dive Rite Express sells a replacement dump valve for $13. You may find something cheaper but not significantly cheaper.

What is the brand of your BCD? What part is cracked? All dump valves are not the same.

mine is a old halcyon wing.

i asked my local dealer sometime back and they checked - they said its not repairable.

To be more precise, its the part attached to the wing that is cracked. Its not the dump valve itself (the part that can be unscrewed)

I'm still not clear on exactly which part is bad. But, if you contact BCD Parts and Components - Dive Gear Express I suspect they will be able to help. Dive Rite, DSS, Halcyon and others use compatible valves. Or look at parts FXBC2700 and DR-BC2748 and see if any of those look right.

And then you probably need to go find a new dive shop. Yours seems to either lack knowledge or wants more from you than the cost of a repair.

So i have an old BC - its dump valve has cracked, other than that, its fully functional. i was looking at replacement parts and came across this company Repair Scuba Buoyancy Compensator Device (BCD) DIY Valve | eBay

Anyone tried it ? i think its way too expensive , and if i add in shipping, its a just a ultimate killer. i was also looking at what DSS and Oxycheq has to offer and even DRE - anyone has a cheaper yet effective alternative ?

I repaired my Seaquest Balance inflater valve using the same scuba fix kit and it worked well. As the rest of my BC was in good condition I didn't think the repair kit was expensive compared to a relacement BC

Seaquest BCD connections are not compatible with Dive Rite etc.

mine is a old halcyon wing.

i asked my local dealer sometime back and they checked - they said its not repairable.

To be more precise, its the part attached to the wing that is cracked. Its not the dump valve itself (the part that can be unscrewed)
Your local dealer is wrong. It's always repairable... just a matter of how difficult and whether or not you think it's worth it. They are in business to sell you more stuff and a new wing is a lot more profitable than a $13 part. Divegearexpress.com sells full dump valves. Cut the old one out, patch, and put in a new one. An hour's worth of work and $20 including the patch, glue and the valve.

Seaquest BCD connections are not compatible with Dive Rite etc.

Yes I know. Here is what Scuba Fix in Singapore say:

As of now, we have repair kit for SeaQuest, US Diver, Aqualungs, Mares, Aeris, OMS, Halcyon, Dive Rite, Frog, Oceanic, Beuchat (47mm & 51mm), Genesis, Sherwood, Zeagle, Aquatec, Seac-sub, Cressi Sub, Scuba-Pro.

If your BCD belongs to a brand that is not listed above, do drop us an email : enquiry@scuba-fix.com.

Their price is too high for my taste. If the Halcyon valve is screwed in and not glued in, the fix should be simple and reasonable with parts from DGE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom