Aeris Elite Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nrengle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone got an opinion on the Aeris Elite computer with transmitter. Not the T3, but the original? I have a chance to buy one for a great price, but haven't seen much on it.

Thanks guys.

Once you figure it out it's great. That will take some time, it's basically a three button computer that does more than most people need. Once I learned how to set it up for the diving I'm doing, I'm happy. Console/computer is not on my checklist anymore, it's always on. When it's not dive computing, it's my watch.

During normal diving the display shows a nitrogen loading graph above your PSI and elapsed dive time which is above non deco dive time remaining, or air time remaning when that hits <5 minutes, and your depth.

I like the consoleless setup, air integration, and the low profile of a fully configurable Nitrox computer.

PROS: It does it all and the size makes it great for living with a dive computer on your arm, watch size. It comes with a USB cable to download dive data and connect to PC ap (not Mac OS X unfortunately). Access settings and menus quickly for Nitrox %, other settings and alarms.

CONS: The backlight feature isn't very strong and the user's manual isn't super user friendly.

I went through the original watch and the transmitter batteries in the first two months of a trip doing about 20 dives a week. I had questions about the operations where the manual didn't explain something clear and was able to be in touch with a rep who got me the answers, Aeris was easy to connect with.

After diving with it everyday, I'm really pleased with this option.

The Aeris elite is a two button computer only. I have one. Let me start with the pro:
1. Lots of features, probably a recreation diver would ever need
2. It also has a gauge mode, so it makes a very good backup device if later you move to a newer computer.
3. Good built quality, tough. It is better than Uwatec Tec2G which I also have.
4. User replaceable better, battery type is also very easy to find.
5. compatible with DSS boot.
6. although not small diameter wise, but not "thick". Thinner than Tec2G.

Now the cons, which I think OP would be more interested:
1. for its age, the strap will probably going soon, so you will need DSS boot or new strap.
2. the shape of the module itself is not a perfect plug like Tec2G or Mare Plug. This make putting it in DSS boot a bit of struggle, putting quite a bit of stress to the DSS boot. If you only need to do it once, it is fine. But you need to take it out of the boot to replace battery. So far I did it twice only. I don't know how many more times the DSS boot will stand up to this. It would be suck to replace the boot ($20)
3. battery life isn't particularly good. The manual says 50 dives, it is quite accurate. Consider #2 above, longer battery life would be better.
4. Battery icon doesn't tell battery level accurately at all. It can show you full battery in the morning, then death after two dives. So you better keep spare batteries in your save a dive kit. Have that said, this is not a unique problem to this computer, but rather common on AUP computers.
5. Minor, but important to me, gauge mode does NOT show seconds. This is why I also have Tec2G
6. Minor, I personlly think Aeris/Oceanic software for dive log download sucks. I already gave up on it.

Overall, I think it is a good computer. I have no issue of its operation under or above water. For a good price, I would not hesitate to get one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom