Dump valve cap for Halcyon wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I lost one this weekend. I think I was doing the "OK" sign around the dump valve when finding the string. The valve cap get loose. I know for a fact that it was still there when I finished the dive. Somehow it is gone between the time I was washing the gears and driving home. For now, I use the OPV valve cap from a Hacyon SMB. Anyone know where I can buy that assembly? Does it has to be Halcyon? will DSS or DR one fit and function?

The one from DSS will fit and the thicker cord is easier to find.

Standard cap. Lot's of retailers sell them. I bought a few from OMS some time ago (and I assume you're referring to the OPV cap assembly). Halcyon's inner coupling does have a wider opening than a few others I have looked at. All this means to me is that I might make sure to use at least a new rubber gasket, otherwise prexisting grooves formed in the gasket won't align (probably no problem if they don't align, but I'd rather not try it).

Hard to imagine one could fully unscrew that cap doing whatever on a dive. Good idea to check the cap before each dive.

Another vote to just get the DSS OPV assembly -- make sure you check and see whether you've got one of the older wings that needs a bladder nut. I've replaced both my Halcyon wings' caps with them and they're a better design that's easier to find and less likely to get tangled/caught. The string on my Halcyon SMB OPV just frayed itself to death, and since I consider that OPV an on-dive redundancy for my wing's OPV, I'm replacing with yet another DSS valve.

I agree,

Just replace it with the DSS OPV.

-Mitch

Back
Top Bottom