Computers with Macintosh software from the manufacturer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSpiffy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So far, what I've been able to find is the Scubapro/Uwatec line. Others don't have Mac s/w from the manufacturer, which makes things like firmware updates either a pain or impossible w/out using a Windows PC.

And no, I have no interest in Parallels or other emulation environments. :no: If a manufacturer won't support a significant portion of the population, why should that portion of the population support them with a purchase?

The Atomic Aquatics Cobalt has Mac firmware s/w from AA, though an OS X Lion/Mountain Lion-compatible version of the firmware update software is still 'coming soon' as it were. Their firmware s/w is separate from the dive logging s/w, at least for Mac; if you want to log Cobalt dives on your Mac, you buy MacDive and it's plug 'n play (no Cobalt drivers necessary for MacDive).

The Shearwater Petrel and Predator both have a Mac native dive log and firmware update desktop, too. http://www.shearwater.com/downloads/shearwater-desktop-download/ I'm still using MacDive with my Petrel, though, so I can't speak to how user friendly the Shearwater desktop is. I do like the fact that all I have to do is turn on Bluetooth to download the Petrel's dives. No Petrel firmware updates have been released yet, so I can't say how that aspect works.

Tag for my own interest when new computer time comes.

Suunto has a Mac version. However the one to get, and it works for most dive computers, is Mac Dive. It's great, stable and ROCKS ! :)

Shearwater is fully supported on the Mac. It transmits by Bluetooth as well as IR. of course, that's a lot more computer than most recreational divers will ever use.

As one of the developers of the Atomic Cobalt Cobalt Guide: Home , we were kind of pleased (being Mac users) that the Mac firmware update was available before Windows, and I can guarantee that the Mac will be supported- testing the Mountian Lion updater now- Apple has caused some issues with changes to the OS, but we're working on keeping up. This issue has only affected firmware updates on the latest Mac OS versions, not dive logging.

But I second the suggestions of third party software for dive logging. Look at either MacDive or Dive Log Manager These are programs that will do a lot more than anything put out by any manufacturer, are inexpensive, well supported, and work with a variety of dive computers.

Ron

Sensus dive logger from reefnet has Mac software iirc. Under $200 at divegearexpress. Not a full computer,but a nice option for logging dive data.

Liquivision computers are Mac compatible.

Eric Fattah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom