Deco Dives With Liberal Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverlb00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
me and my Buddie are doing daily deco dives ( 40 to 50 m depth) , we are having about 30 to 40 minute deco stops. i am using a Suunto Vyper which is considered to be a conservative computer, while my Buddie is using an xp5 which is considered to be a liberal computer that is following the US navy table, and we are always ending up with with a minimum of 10 min of deco stops difference between me and him, which mean if i got 30 he got 40 taking into consideration that we are always on the same depth.

so my question is, should i also be using a liberal computer if im doing daily dives with at least 30 min deco-stops , or should i continue to be extra safe with the computer i am using. Does daily dives with deco stops have any side effect for long terms ?

please advise.

thanks

You shouldn’t be doing deco dives at your level.
Since you don’t understand your dive computer and their algorithmsthat another reason for not doing deco dives.
And with technical training it would answer most of yourquestions.

What do the tables you are cutting using some type of deco software, rgbm tables, etc tell you to do? What are the agency recommendations that you did your deco procedures course with say is proper procedure? Surely you are not just following the recommendations of two different computers and have a written.schedule with contingencies for depths and times to follow? What is the gas plan for these dives and whose comsumption rate are you going by?
Best thing is to put the computers in gauge mode and come up with a proper plan for deco.

Your last question clearly indicates you might want to reconsider these dives and get the training necessary so that such questions are answered and why they are answered the way they are.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

my question is, should i also be using a liberal computer if im doing daily dives with at least 30 min deco-stops , or should i continue to be extra safe with the computer i am using. Does daily dives with deco stops have any side effect for long terms ?

please advise.

thanks

Long term? I honestly don't think you need to worry about that!

From your post it does sound like you're riding the computer to see you through these dives. This is generally thought of as being unsafe- especially on this forum. As such, it's unlikely you will get the information that you seek, but you can count on a whole bunch of flames coming your way.

Secondly- it's the internet. Relying on the internet as a source of information for decompression dives is definitely not a good idea. However it may start you on the learning curve initially.

I would suggest getting 'proper' instruction on decompression diving which should answer your (very basic) questions, and also start you on the learin of 'knowing what you don't know'. Sharm el Sheikh has some very experienced technical divers- I suggest you contact someone there to get properly trained.

Dive safe and best of luck.

From the sound of your last question...

Does daily dives with deco stops have any side effect for long terms ?

It sounds like you have no formal training in decompression, nor do you have a real handle on basic decompression theory. My advice is to at least take a basic decompression class to understand what you're doing, and why. In short, if you do the deco, then you can do this every day with no adverse effects.

A friend of mine says, "be smarter than your computer" - in other words. Don't just blindly follow your computer. Your computer doesn't take into account, what you ate for breakfast, how many beers you had last night, how much sleep you had, your wife is sick and your dog just died. Your computer is just a tool. If you don't know what all of the stuff actually means, then you're not smarter than your computer. Looking to buy a new computer to solve a training problem isn't a great idea. Do the training, and be smarter than your computer.

thanks for answering guys!

I will look into taking decompression dive course.

Your computer is just a tool. If you don't know what all of the stuff actually means, then you're not smarter than your computer. Looking to buy a new computer to solve a training problem isn't a great idea. Do the training, and be smarter than your computer.

This is perfectly said. If you don't understand why a piece of equipment is doing what it's doing, you shouldn't be in the water with it. Learn how and why your computer does what it does (ie get educated on deco diving) then use it as a tool to help you perform the training you've learned topside.

Be safe and never dive beyond your experience and education level!

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

I am not familiar with your buddy's computer, but I know something about the Vyper. Read the manual carefully. You will learn that it is a computer designed for no decompression diving. It will guide you through decompression on an emergency basis, but it is not designed as a decompression computer.

me and my Buddie are doing daily deco dives ( 40 to 50 m depth) , we are having about 30 to 40 minute deco stops. i am using a Suunto Vyper which is considered to be a conservative computer, while my Buddie is using an xp5 which is considered to be a liberal computer that is following the US navy table, and we are always ending up with with a minimum of 10 min of deco stops difference between me and him, which mean if i got 30 he got 40 taking into consideration that we are always on the same depth.

so my question is, should i also be using a liberal computer if im doing daily dives with at least 30 min deco-stops , or should i continue to be extra safe with the computer i am using. Does daily dives with deco stops have any side effect for long terms ?

please advise.

thanks

The only advice I can give is to slap yourself in the face and take stock in the most basic education you were given as a diver. Complacency is a leading contributor to the sort of poor decision making that leads to utterly avoidable accidents.

If you don't respect DCS... then you're complacent. Grab yourself a spinal bubble and enjoy being called 'Mr Floppy' for the rest of years... Very heroic.

As others have mentioned, appropriate training is plentiful for decompression diving. You were taught and advised to dive within the limitations of your training and experience - so do yourself, your wife, your kids.. a favor and follow that advice. There's nothing heroic or adventurous about risking a life drooling in a wheelchair.

If you are going to pursue technical diving education, step 1 is to embrace a conservative, prudent and risk-aware mindset. If you don't, you'll fail that training.

I do not think much else needs to be said, and its great that you have said you will look into persuing techincal/decompression training but just to add one thing with what your currently doing. Whats the plan if your computer dies right as you start your accent to the surface, and your seperated from your buddy? How much deco do you do, and at what levels?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom