Tobermory this weekend Sept 28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Diving Tobermory for the first time this weekend. Pretty excited about it, with the exception of the water temps..

Bringing a camera also, so will have some underwater shots next week. So far plan is to hit Arabia, Niagara 2, Tugs, Forest City, Dufferin wall, possibly more

actually, the water has been warmer this year than others. I'm sure the surface has dropped (been in the 70's), but below the thermocline has been in the mid-50's as recent as a group I know that went there on 9/7. Likely the worst part will be the SI, so bring some good fleece, and a wind blocker. Put some good socks, gloves, and a hat on to warm your extremities. Have an awesome time!

It was 43 degrees on the Forest City in August... but no problems in a 7mm (+ vest). The DM warned everybody about the heightened probability of free flows - but we never saw any. The Niagara was much warmer at 56 (no vest).

Bob, thanks buddy... I packed a toque and gloves. I had thought about the SI, but not like that, thanks for the heads up.

Johnson.. thanks. I have cold water regs, so hopefully that is not an issue for me. I will be rocking my Henderson 7mm with .5 to 1 mm undergarments. I run pretty hot normally, and I can deal with 40 mins at a time I hope.

Will update on Monday when I get back

Was a good trip, I will update later. Dove with Tobermory Aquasports

---------- Post Merged on October 1st, 2012 at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous Post was on September 30th, 2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

Weather got kind of crappy on the 2nd afternoon and and blew out our day Sunday, so I dove The Tugs, Forest City, Niagara 2, Wetmore. I will get some shots up later tonight

---------- Post Merged on October 1st, 2012 at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 30th, 2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

Ok so here is what went down

Friday afternoon after about a 5.5 hour drive, we arrive in Tobermory. A bit longer than I like to be a car at one time, but tolerable as I was far enough away from Toronto that traffic was a bit of a non issue..

We start our first dive at the Tugs in Little Tug harbour

Water was in the 60's somewhere, It was a little chillier than I expected, but after I got into dry clothes after my three dives here( AOW dives.), I felt much better. Water was pretty clear, with a few Gobies hanging around. But a pretty clear bottom, and some very nice wrecks for how close they are to surface. I really like the tug on the right, that still had its boiler intact.

Saturday was the day for my Deep dive, and then two other dives. The first was Forest City. We got to the site about 945, but by the time we got diving was about 1030, as you are waiting on others. I jumped in early to just float and get my head around the cold deep water dive I was going to do> I previously had been to 87 feet in Mexico, but I never noticed it on that trip. Water was 51 at depth, so quite a bit different than Coz. I got down to 101 feet, and managed to hang around the wreck for about 8 mins before starting my way up> I did not take the camera here, as I was a bit nervous about the dive, and I did not feel it would be cool, to have something else to worry about. Forest city was pretty crazy, a bit spooky with the green darkening water. I did cool here, no narcing, held safety stop without any issues, and was very happy to start moving into warmer water on my way up.

Again no pics this trip of Forest city, but I am going to go a bit deeper next time, and get video of the whole trip

DSC_0169.jpg

Next was the Niagara II. This dive I brought camera. Niagara II was located about 30 mins boat from Forest City, and the wind picked up to produce white caps, and we probably have 4 foot waves. Bobbing on surface was the hardest thing about this dive
niagara2dwayne.jpg
Me at the Niagara II
niagara2kirsty.jpgNiagara2descent.jpg
My wife checking her My buddy and Instructor filming
positioning
niagara21.jpg

niagara2dansdiveshop.jpg
A group checking the cabins
niagara22.jpg

Next up was the Wetmore, the wind was calmer here, and a shallow wreck of a max of 20 feet> Still some intact stuff here, but was a fun dive..
wetmoreanchordwayne.jpg
wetmore2.jpg
wetmore1.jpg

wetmoreboiler.jpg

---------- Post Merged on October 2nd, 2012 at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous Post was on September 30th, 2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

actually, the water has been warmer this year than others. I'm sure the surface has dropped (been in the 70's), but below the thermocline has been in the mid-50's as recent as a group I know that went there on 9/7. Likely the worst part will be the SI, so bring some good fleece, and a wind blocker. Put some good socks, gloves, and a hat on to warm your extremities. Have an awesome time!

You were pretty much right, the dive was tolerable, the SI was brutal after the wind picked up. I found myself asleep on the engine room door, where the heat radiated. LOL.. winter "hat" sweater and wind break I wore. and still was chilled. I ran into a member of our group yesterday buying a drysuit because of the cold SI

Attachments

• niagara2flag.jpg
    niagara2flag.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 27
  • niagara2wheelhouse.jpg
    niagara2wheelhouse.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Niagara23.jpg
    Niagara23.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 26
  • niagara24.jpg
    niagara24.jpg