Suunto D4i vs Scubapro Meridian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonru

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have a small bundle of cash burning a hole in my pocket. A couple of freelance clients have finally paid me.

It comes down to a choice of 2 dive watches.... Suunto D4i vs Scubapro Meridian in UK pounds I can get the D4i for 50 less than the Meridian.... the meridian LOOKS nicer... and spec wise both do more than I would probably need....

So which should I go for?

Any thoughts?

SR

I dive a d4i. I find it easy to use and gives me all my info at a glance. It is quite conservative (even in its least conservative tables) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I do find the air integration to be somewhat intermittent and I definitely wouldn't ditch my analogue pressure gauge any time soon. Hubby also has one and his air integration has worked flawlessly. I like it, but have always dived with Suunto computers so I can't give you an unbiased opinion.

I've had the D4i just over a year. Couple hundred dives, traveled the world, it's great. No issues. Wireless is great. The whole "conservative" issue isn't an issue with me. I'm consistently the first one in and the last one back on the boat. And, if you're an air hog, what's the difference anyway ? I've never died so I would say it's working just fine for me :) The Suunto software, eh, not so much. Get MacDive if you are going to do the "download your dives" thing. Now wioth all of that said, I too, will admit, the Meridian is sexy.

I am using a Suunto D4 as backup device and share what has been previously said about that computer. While not familiar with the Meridian, I gave it a look on their website.

My impression is that the Suunto has the slightly better readibility of core dive information ( at least when looking at the photo of the Meridian), in terms of layout and number of information displayed.

On the other hand the Meridian seems to have a mode, whereby the figures light up on a darkened display, which is definitely a plus for the readibility of the Meridian when you do night dives.

Also the Meridian looks more stylish if you want to wear it also as a normal watch.

So I guess, unless somebody has both devices and can give a clear preference, both are eventually equal, at least in my opinion; however I would need to find out more comparable information about the algorithms applied by both.

We sell both the suunto d4i and the scubapro meridian. Personally although the meridian looks a fair bit better, for normal recreational diving I would chose the suunto d4i as while both are good computers from excellent manufacturers, suunto's backup is second to none and the model has been around a little longer and so is very much proven. The scubapro computer has a whole host more features, including the ability to use a second deco gas so if you were looking at going down the extended range, adv. nitrox deco procedures then the meridian would be the one to pick.

Price wise there's still a fair amount of difference as the suunto seems to be discounted a little more both by ourselves and other retailers. This is mainly due to competition as opposed to quality of the unit.

The previous poster is right though, the Scubapro model does have a rather cool light feature where the lcd glows, as opposed to the d4i which just has the basic luminescence.

HTH

I went to the shop and bought.......................

The D4i.

2 reasons aside from the good reasons given above....

1. My wife will dive with my old Gekko, so good to have the same decompression algorithms.
2. The shop didn't have the Scubapro in stock. There seems to be an availability issue with this... at least in Europe.

So thanks for your help. Job done

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom