Winter Diving in New Brunswick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys:

Can anyone give me some info on the winter dives in New Brunswick? Does the dive season end by fall or do some people still jump into the blue? I wanted to get together with some folks this winter and do some winter dives there if possible. If anyone has done winter diving there can you guys tell me how is the viz, water temperature and what kind of marine life we can see? I will be bringing my DSLR so I would like to know about the photography possibilities before hand.

Thanks so much.

Looking forward -

Sinbad :coffee:

Where in New Brunswick will you be visiting? The conditions/access vary depending on what coast line you are on.
In the Bay of Fundy we dive year round, the visibility doesn't change much over Winter.. average is about 15ft, sometimes less or more but that is more weather dependent. The temps will start dropping anytime now, it's running 55-57F and will be in the low 40's by February.
Marine life will vary by site.. the site I most often dive in Winter is Deer Island but access in high snow Winters can be limited and some dives are more advanced. Across at Eastport ME is very nice (similar bottom/marine life, just not as concentrated) and access is good year round.

Where in New Brunswick will you be visiting? The conditions/access vary depending on what coast line you are on.
In the Bay of Fundy we dive year round, the visibility doesn't change much over Winter.. average is about 15ft, sometimes less or more but that is more weather dependent. The temps will start dropping anytime now, it's running 55-57F and will be in the low 40's by February.
Marine life will vary by site.. the site I most often dive in Winter is Deer Island but access in high snow Winters can be limited and some dives are more advanced. Across at Eastport ME is very nice (similar bottom/marine life, just not as concentrated) and access is good year round.

Thanks so much Ceb. As for which area, I am open to traveling to the best area during winters. Since I am interested in photographing marine life (seals etc) I can come to ares where the probability of seeing them of them is the best. I dont do macro so big marine life and reef scenes are what I would be after.

We don't have a lot of that kind of diving any time of year. The only area where you'd have a chance of diving with seals is up north in Percé. There is a club that runs charters from June-Sep (Club nautique de Percé). You may be able to arrange something with them over the Winter, it's worth contacting them! Otherwise it's pretty much macro marine life diving around here.

Another idea to consider is Bar Harbor, ME and arranging a charter with Diver Ed (http://divered.com/). He has a site called Dessert Rock which is a seal dive, and the visibility is good out there. He runs dive charters through the Winter.

Hope that helps!

+1 with Ed. He will keep it interesting and he has a hot tub and grill on the boat the "Starfish Enterprise"!

Reactions: ceb
+1 with Ed. He will keep it interesting and he has a hot tub and grill on the boat the "Starfish Enterprise"!

And I will say the seal diving at Mount Desert Rock was better than our trip to Isle of Shoals in NH.

I would say if you plan on coming north and want to photograph large marine animals push on over to Newfoundland. I have seen video of the Humpbacks over in Hampden coming right up to the wharf during the early winter. Get in touch with Trinityeco tours they could line things up for you.

Whale Watching Trinity, Newfoundland Trinity Eco-Tours

Underwater Video of a Whale in Newfoundland [url]www.trinityeco-tours.com - YouTube[/URL]

ZDD

Trinity seems more of a surface whale watch and kayaking tour. Do they also offer scuba diving?

Trinity seems more of a surface whale watch and kayaking tour. Do they also offer scuba diving?
Honestly, I don't know but if you were to contact them and tell them what you would like to do I am sure they will do what they can to help you out. There is no more hospitable bunch of people then Newfoundlanders, you can ask anyone who as ever been there and I would bet my bottom dollar they will back me up on that. But,that aside tell us what you would like to do while in our area and maybe me or someone else here on SB would take you under our wing for a while to show you the best we have to offer and usually at no charge.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom