Buckle Releases with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was always told to use a right handed release on my weight belt. I have been practicing donning and doffing my BP underwater and I am concerned about the release buckle of my BP being right handed and accidentally releasing my weight belt when remove my BP. Any thoughts about changing the buckle on my BP to a left handed release.
Thanks

Having them both as right hand release has never caused me any issues. Why don't you try it in the pool and decide what works best for you?

some people take their can lights off every time. if that's true for you, putting the buckle on that side will get old quick.

how much weight is on the belt? any chance of using weights on your cam bands instead?

Another alternative is to change from a cam-style buckle. I really like the Olssen buckle for heavier belts. Another option is the Marseilles Buckle on a rubber belt favored by freedivers. Both are discussed in this link:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...you-diving-ditchable-weights.html#post5580691

Marseilles Belts are especially good if you want to shift weight low, especially for geezers like me with no butt.

Last edited:
This is my singles rig, with a drysuit in Maine (cold water) so doing away with the belt is not an option, and I would really prefer to have ditchable weights. I am trying to strike a balance between having weight on my rig and on me to keep me negative when the rig is off in the water. Without a belt in the water with the rig off I turn into a cork when diving dry.

Whats the problem with having the BP buckle on the left of the crotch strap with a left release and the weight belt buckle on the right of the crotch strap with a right hand release.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom