Oxycheq Mach V extreme series - weight and packability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

similanaddict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know how the dry weight and packability of Oxycheq #40 Mach V extreme series compares to the #40 Chroma or Signature series? I' ve been trying in vain to get an answer from their customer service and I don't think the figures on their site are reliable: 2.9 lbs for the 40# Mach V Chroma Series (Mariner Blue) but 3.4 lbs for the smaller 30# Mack V Signature Series and 3.2lbs for the smaller 30# Mach V Chroma Series red or yellow. For the 40# extreme series, they give a dry weight of 3.7 Lbs (1680 gramms), does anyone know if this is an accurate figure? And how small can it be packed?
I'd like to know as I'm trying to set up a lightweight and compact travel kit.

If you want a compact and light travel kit forget about the extreme series my extreme easily weights a lot more vs the standard series and unless you are doing some extreme diving in places with very sharp rocks I have never seen any wing tears or punctures ever. A wing did leak after a tank was dropped on it but it was a pinch/compression leak not a poke puncture.

Instead of contacting Oxycheq which can be a pain contact Edd Sorenson from caveadventurers.com or the guys from scubatoys.com

If you are doing mostly single tank diving, an Oxycheq Color Travel Plate & Wing or Hollis Ride or the Zeagle Express Tech or the deluxe version would be sufficient.

Both the extreme and standard signature wing folds or rolls very tightly but the standard is 25% smaller when folded. At least that's how my 30lbs pack like.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply; but this is what I read: Hollis Ride and Zeagle Express Deluxe: about 6 lbs (2.8 kg), Zeagle Express standard: 5,3 lbs; Oxycheck #30 Mach V with ultra lite backplate and speed Harness: about 5 lbs. If Oxycheq gives correct weights on their site, the setup with the #40 extreme series should weigh about 5,3 lbs; with the #30 something less than 5.2 lbs, which is still very light and but probably the best and most durable bladder. But it is not just about weight, also packed volume as I travel around with a backpack. So the extreme series can be folded?

Oxycheq wings are anything but pack friendly if that is what you care. I have oxy Mach V signature 40lb wing. Dry weight is 3lb-6oz. Material is stiff. In comparison, halcyon 30lb wing is only 1lb-15oz, she'll material is ver flexible, can be pack much smaller than oxycheq, though may not as thoug as oxycheq. Halcyon inner bladder is made of better material.

Oxycheq wings are anything but pack friendly if that is what you care. I have oxy Mach V signature 40lb wing. Dry weight is 3lb-6oz. Material is stiff. In comparison, halcyon 30lb wing is only 1lb-15oz, she'll material is ver flexible, can be pack much smaller than oxycheq, though may not as thoug as oxycheq. Halcyon inner bladder is made of better material.

Having owned both I would disagree that halcyon's inner wing is made out of better materials. Also I perfer the wing design and increased durability of oxycheq.

"better" is not a very descriptive word. Halcyon bladder is made of coated nylon, think SMB kind of material. Oxycheq bladder is pretty thick polyurethane. I have had problem with either, but I do think coated nylon is more resistive to pinch flat which is a more common failure mode.

The real issue I have with Oxycheq bladder (mine is Mach V Signature 40) is how the bladder is so much bigger than the shell. It is folded on all 4 sides. I think this is the reason why it vent much slower than Halcyon wing.

OP wants to know about packability. In this aspect, the toughness of the Oxcheq shell has a negative impact here. It is no where as pack-able as the Halcyon

Oxycheq wings are anything but pack friendly if that is what you care. I have oxy Mach V signature 40lb wing. Dry weight is 3lb-6oz. Material is stiff. In comparison, halcyon 30lb wing is only 1lb-15oz, she'll material is veyr flexible, can be pack much smaller than oxycheq, though may not as thoug as oxycheq. Halcyon inner bladder is made of better material.

My experience is the same as this. I have an Oxycheq Mach V 18lb Chroma series wing and a Halcyon 30. The Oxycheq wing is very stiff and I would not try to fold it. The Halcyon is more pliable and is able to be folded or rolled. However the Halcyon wing does require an STA which the Oxycheq does not. My recommendation would be to check if the Hollis wing can be folded. Besides being less expensive it has a built in STA that can be removed. If it can be folded and/or rolled that wing with a fabric Oxycheq plate would be the best you could get for travel.

I wonder whether the Oxycheq ultralite backplate and speed harness can be used with the Hollis S or Dive Rite Voyager single tank wing.

Between Oxcheq Mach V w/o STA and Halcyon with STA, the later is a better option for traveling. Even with full size STA, they will still pack smaller. With mini two piece STA, they will pack smaller and lighter.

The best wing design for STAless setup is definitely DSS. Wing material is still very flexible. It is a great travel setup.

Back
Top Bottom