Female divers - BCD recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Everyone!
I am interested in some recommendations for a travel BCD that is made for a woman. Or, that fits a fairly well-endowed, small-waisted female diver comfortably.

I have been diving for 25+ years, and dive mostly recreationally. My highest certification is Rescue Diver, but do not dive in that capacity. Yes, I like to dive wrecks and caverns at times, and do some deep diving, but thta is the extent of my technical diving.

I currently own a Seaquest Diva LX (about 15 years old) that I love for it's comfort, but it is so bulky for traveling and I mostly travel to dive, so I am in the market for a travel BCD. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Check out the Zeagle Zena. Mine folds up pretty small and only weighs like 6 pounds, so very easy to pack. It is also modular in design so you're able to mix and match components for a custom fit.

im sure you'll get lots of BP/W suggestions as well.

I bought the Zuma for travel and THEN bought the Zena because it happened to be a fantastic deal (the LDS was clearing out their Zeagle stock). I LOVE my Zena. Great for travel and also great for local, cold water diving. Look up the threads on Zena - there has been a lot said on scubaboard about the Zena. The best part - in my opinion - is that it has so many different places to make adjustments for sizing that it seems it will fit just about anyone in a tailored way.

From your physical description i would say maybe one of those backpack thingies and a white T-shirt under it for chafe protection.:eyebrow::wink:

I have also heard good things about the Zena (but have never tried one myself). I acquired a Zeagle Express Tech that has really impressed me for travel! I like the simple BP/W styling (with the convenience of not needing to travel with a metal plate) and it is very easy to adjust to my body type (which sounds very similar to yours). The Zeagle systems really do a nice job of allowing you to customize features so your rig ends up exactly how you would like it. Their products are all pretty bulletproof in construction as well, which is very nice. Plus the Express Tech is cheap :D...

My other half and her daughter both use the Aqualung Pearl i3 - no idea re travel etc. as we leave all our gear at the dive centre and only travel with carry on luggage - but thought I'd pitch in and say that they both find them extremely comfortable - although the inflater takes a little getting used to.

I bought a Zeagle Lazer a year ago and absolutely LOVE IT! From your physical description your body type is similar to mine - maybe my profile picture would give you a better idea and you can go from there. But I really like several things - first, as Divemaven mentioned, the bc is made modularly, so Zeagle can make adjustments for long/short torso, etc. Maybe you can visit their website for more info. But I bought mine from a local dive shop that is a Zeagle dealer and we were able to get a custom fit after the saleswoman took some measurements.
Its pretty light - ~ 7 lbs. and is great for warm water diving. You won't be able to use double tanks though, but if that's not an issue, then its no problem.It wasn't for me.
I had been using jacket style BC's before, but after using this Lazer( a rear inflator) I won't go back. I find it easier to maintain horizontal positions, and the ability to add weight on the rear portion of the bc really makes it easier to adjust my weight distribution. Its probably a little pricier than most, but to me its worth every penny. I have finally found a bc that really is easy to adjust, is fairly light so I can take it traveling without worrying too much about overweight limits on airlines and is easy to pack.
BTW, If you want a super light/small bs , check out the Zeagle Wicked lite.
Even though this sounds like marketing for Zeagle, I am not in anyway associated with them except as a very satisfied customer:D
Hope this helps
DG

Halcyon Travel BC. It doesn't discriminate a diver based on gender, body mass distribution, age or otherwise.

Well, a standard BP/W and hogarthian harness is about as customizable as it gets. And for a woman of your dimensions, a hogarthian harness doesn't interfere with the girls and your waist belt doesn't depend on any other dimensions. You can get a proper sizing/fit regardless of being not shaped consistently top to bottom.

As far as travel goes, my fiancee has your same general shape. We got her an Aeris EX Lite for travel and a better fit than her other jacket bcd. It's tiny, light, and has that same hogarthian-esque harness. It's not as "good" as a proper BP/W...but she thinks it's prettier, it's about the same weight, maybe a little smaller packed, and she likes it better. It's very similar to the Zeagle Express Tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom