Discovering the E36

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
By the time I dived on it, the E36 was not a new wreck. A dozen or so Dutch wreck divers had already seen her and some had even removed important artifacts in the age old tradition of cutting it off with a hammer and chisel. That's the culture among Dutch wreck divers... take whatever can be removed.... cut out anything that isn't too heavy to lift... Regardless of the law assume every wreck is derelict.

It's unfortunate, really, because some wrecks will remain off-limits to divers until the Dutch agree not to dive on them.... a la....

Nevertheless I was given the chance to dive on this wreck, being told that nobody really knew what it was. It was clear that it was a submarine but that's all.

We went there to make 2 dives. Surface conditions were outstanding. We anchored above the wreck and kitted up in buddy teams according to "goals". Some wanted to look for artifacts, some wanted to just dive on the wreck and look at the fishes.... *I* wanted to find out what it was.

I had two buddies on the dive. We descended to 27 metres through a layer of algae but the visibility cleared up at about 18 metres and below that depth the visibility was amazing. Alas, one of my buddies decided to call the dive during the descent so we ended up on the wreck with just the two of us.

We measured the length and beam of the wreck. It was almost exactly 55m long and about 5 metres broad. we weren't able to measure it's keel because it was buried in the sand. We did see that it had 2 torpedo bays fore and one aft (all loaded with what we assumed was live ammo) and 2 aft rudders. after the fact only one type of submarine ever built would fit this description... the British WWI E-type.

We tried to establish what kind of damage could have caused it to sink. We could see based on the damage that the aft 1/4 of the main deck had been split open to the point where you could look inside the ship and even seen the aft batteries between the split-open deck plates. We weren't able to find or identify any human remains but given the fact that the torpedo bays were all loaded with live ammunition we assumed that this wreck had not been sunk intentionally.

After the dive I started looking into the facts. It didn't take long to discover based on the dimensions and identifying features that this could *only* be a British E-type. It did, however, take a long time to clearly establish which one it was because I needed to research the history and final resting place of each and every one of the E-types. As it turned out this particular ship had a collision with the E43 in poor weather during the sailing from Harwich to Vlieland whereby the E43 collided and ran over the aft 1/4 of the main deck of the E36, ripping it open and causing it to sink with all aboard. This was exactly consistent with the damage we saw on the wreck. The GPS location of the wreck site also shows it on a direct line from Harwich to Vlieland and as my research discovered, it's the *only* e-type that could possibly have been in that general area when it went down.

I sent a letter to the Royal Navy informing them that we had found their boat and I gave them some specifics. They sent me back a letter warning me not to dive on that wreck because, in their words, "it is heavily laden with live ordinance". LOL... we already knew that.... I even have a photo of the torpedo that was loaded in the aft torpedo bay.

R..

Congratulations! I'm sorry to hear about the artifacts going missing. I hope in the future you will beat them to it next time. I take this is in the English channel or North Sea?

What a cool story! I am not a wreck diver, but I love hearing about people solving mysteries like this.

I have just come across this thread which is of particular interest to me because my Great Uncle, Lionel Rickards was Acting Leading Stoker on the E36 when she went down after colliding with E43. See below:

E36 and E43 left Harwich at 0730 for two patrol areas off Terschelling. A strong north easterly was blowing. At 1126 just before they left the coast, E43 signalled to E36 to proceed independently. At 1330 E36 was on the port beam but was out of sight by 1500. The sea was running fairly high and at 1850 E43, having lost her bridge screen, eased to 5 knots and turned 16 points to fit a new one. This delay must have enabled E36 to overtake her, for at 1950 off the Haaks LV, E43 had just altered course to true north when she suddenly sighted a submarine 3 points on the port bow apparently steering east and only 50 yards off.

The helm was put hard to starboard and engines full astern but E43 struck E36 aft from the stern, rode right over her and saw her vanish on the starboard quarter in the darkness. E43 went astern but nothing could be seen in the darkness and heavy sea. Nothing more was heard of E36.

Back
Top Bottom