Mares vs Tusa back BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at getting a new BCD back inflate Mares Hybrid or Tusa Conquest any feedback would be great help price,features ect.

A lot of divers I know, do not care for the bulky sides on those BC's when comparing them to Harness Style Back Inflate like Dive Rite Voyager/Travel Pac, Halcyon Traveler or BP&W's. Sorry to change thread but you asked.

A couple of questions:
What type of diving do you do?
What features are bringing your attention to these BC's?

A lot of divers I know, do not care for the bulky sides on those BC's when comparing them to Harness Style Back Inflate like Dive Rite Voyager/Travel Pac, Halcyon Traveler or BP&W's. Sorry to change thread but you asked.

A couple of questions:
What type of diving do you do?
What features are bringing your attention to these BC's?

I like the Rear inflate these two also have utility pockets the price for them are around the same $500.
I am a recreational diver for the most part fresh water a few ocean Dives when I can no caves.

Majority of our recreational divers are in the style BC that I showed you. Besides comfort, the other advantages are that you can adjust (raise, lower, add D-Rings, pockets, wght integration etc..) the BC to how you like it. Hope you don't mind, just presenting other alternatives so that you can try to get into the right BC the first time around.

How much weight do you dive with?

Majority of our recreational divers are in the style BC that I showed you. Besides comfort, the other advantages are that you can adjust (raise, lower, add D-Rings, pockets, wght integration etc..) the BC to how you like it. Hope you don't mind, just presenting other alternatives so that you can try to get into the right BC the first time around.

How much weight do you dive with?

usually about 8 pounds with 3mm wetsuit

The guys have a point a lot of us have tried or started with big bulky bcds thinking that the integrated pockets would be a great idea... a couple of dives later and most want to tear off stuff from the bcd or can't wait to sell it fast enough.

U want the best of both worlds and be within budget?

Bp/w package deal $375-$395

or

Oxycheq Color Travel Plate & Wing with harness and cambands $357

then just add a few attachable weight pockets like this:
XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket

and a pouch like this:
Oxycheq pouch $22.40
Oxycheq X Pocket $40
Dive Rite Thigh Pocket with Daisy Chain $35

All in all you save at least $50

With 8lbs in a 3mm you will use NO Weight if you are are in a SS Plate. If you go with a soft pac harness system, you can add Trim Weight Pockets to the cam straps, they hold 5lbs each. If you need more then that, 16LB QB Weight Pockets. As you can see, lot's of options. Feel free to call me to discuss on phone in greater detail.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The question was about differences between two specific BCD's. Please keep the replies to those two models.

Back
Top Bottom