Genaric ScubaPro style tank strap experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slater

Contributor
Reaction score
Ive been running the Scuba Max "scuba pro style" tank strap on my weighted sta for my bp&w.
Totally happy with them, seems very simple to me & works-out great threading a trim pocket on each strap.
Purchased a non weighted sta for my tropical diving & some more tank straps, they were the highlands this time & dont like them..
Just seems like more drama & never had an issues with the generic sp style..
Seen the DRIS Trianta wing thread where the hinge pin busted, has many others really experienced this as theres lots shops that still supply this type of tank band.
Or should I just get the actual Scuba Pro? Really like how the extra webbing is actually between the strap & the tank unlike the new design on the outside, makes threading the xs scuba weight pockets easier.
Just looking for some thoughts so I can decide on next step!
Thanks!

I was the one that posted the pictures of the busted pins. I don't know how many companies manufacture this style tank strap and who made the one I used. Mike said there were a couple complaints but denied many. 2 of the 3 straps I had busted.

Looking at the pin, it was very obvious that the rivet had very little meat. I could imagine that a trip to home depot could have yielded a better pin and the strap would have been fine. One thing I liked about the strap over my replacements was that the piece of webbing that protected the tank from the buckle was stiched on. I don't think the rubber pads that come with Highland are that great of a solution.

Anyways in the end I RMA'd the straps since I was offered an upgrade. It did feel kind of a shame cause it seemed like a simple problem to fix. Overwall I like my highland straps better.

I think the rubber pad is very lame & wouldnt run the strap without as im sure over time it may trash the coating on my steel tank as the buckle snaps down onto the tank.
Was just curious if many others have had failures as yourself as I havent seen any other posts...
Like I stated im running a set now & have had zero issues as of yet.
I need to actually get my hands on an actual SP band & see if thats really a better option, my lds has some but thats going to have to wait till after my Cabo trip this weekend.

Why not just use the real ScubaPro straps? You are aware you can purchase them separately? I have seen the "knock off" straps, and its pretty obvious looking at the design of the ring that they will fail much faster than the ScubaPro straps. In this case you get what you pay for. Buy it nice or buy it twice.

I replaced all of mine with Scubapro straps that I purchased at my LDS. I looked at the other options, but why try to save a few bucks when I already knew what I liked.

Im not trying to save a few bucks. I like how the tag end is on the inside of the tank on the knock-off, which is the way the sp use to be.
I havent had the sp in my hands to really look at them, that is next.
Was just curious if these failures are isolated & may have to do with overtightening the tank putting excessive stress on the pin..
Not very many posts on tank straps & like stated, trying to find something I love & not wanting to buy twice, again..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom