Mares M1 or Suunto Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avin84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings,

I have an option of getting a mares m1 for £45 and Suunto Gekko for £115. I know that Suunto Gekko is a good computer for beginners and I have heard the same for M1 but since M1 is so old there are not many discussions online.
Please help me choose

I have a friend who has a Gekko and loves it, I am a fan of Suunto and dive with a D6i. Cannot speak to the M1 although Mares does make quality products. just my 2c for you.

Gekko, great, simple reliable computer all a rec diver needs, has no back light but that has never bothered me.

The Gekko is already phased out by Suunto. You might have warranty issues.
even worse with the Mares M1 :D
the M1 RGBM, or the M2 RGBM, if you want
but, really, the Gekko is better
my first computer was a M1 RGBM (not more used, i lost the battery door), replaced by a Suunto Vytec DS

Thanks!
Will get a Gekko ...

FYI, the Gekko was replaced by the Zoop about 2 years ago. They are identical, except for color, and that the Zoop has been "opened" so that data can be downloaded without a hack.

Last edited:
M1: not at that price - Last one I bought was $1 + $10 shipping, OK for the price.
£150 or so will buy you brand new current model comp's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom